Working Retail As Told By "The Office"

Working Retail As Told By "The Office"

Even though retail isn’t always fun, the experience is what you make of it.

36
Charleston Gazette

Working retail, or even just dealing with the general public, requires a special set of skills: undeniable patience, constant friendliness despite how you are feeling on a given day, and the ability to say, "I understand why you're upset," out loud while thinking, "You are an idiot," in your head. Below are ten .gifs from "The Office" television show that all of those who work retail, or have worked retail before, and a description of what you want to say in each situation.

1. When A Customer Yells Insults At You Because You Are Out Of The Product They Need.

"It’s the end of the season, and we sold out of that product months ago. You should have come in earlier if you really needed it that badly."

2. When You Answer The Customer Service Phone And The Customer Has Bad Cell Reception.

"I'd really love to help you, but I can't understand a word you're saying."

3. The Feeling You Get When A Customer Thinks He Knows More About Your Workplace Than You Do.

"No, sir. We have never sold that product, and we won't be getting it in stock any time soon because WE HAVE NEVER SOLD IT."

4. That Moment When A customer Says She Will Leave You A Good Review On The Customer Satisfaction Survey.

"There is good in the world! Not all people are bad. Faith in humanity restored." The real test will be if she actually does it.

5. What You Want To Say To A Customer That Comes Into The Store At 9:59 p.m. When The Store Closes At 10 p.m.

"I know you 'made it in time,' but I have a life and a family I would like to get home to, you inconsiderate jerk."

6. The Feeling You Get When People Degrade You For Working Retail.

The sarcasm is real in this one. "Just because it is retail, doesn't mean it isn't 'a real job.'"

7. When A Customer Is So Mean That You Have To Give Yourself A Pep Talk In The Bathroom.

*cue MAGIC!'s song "Rude" - "Why you gotta be so rude?"* You are just doing the best you can with what you have.

8. When Your Unreliable Coworker Asks If He Can Get Someone To Cover His Shift For The Third Time This Month.

"If you don't want to be here, why don't you go work somewhere else?"

9. When You Work As A Team With Your Fellow Coworkers And Do A Great Job.

Having coworkers who are willing to work together to get the job done makes you excited to go to work every day.

10. The Feeling You Get When You Realize How Much Working Retail Has Taught You About Life And You Actually Love Your Job Even Though You Complain About It A Lot.

Even though retail isn’t always fun, the experience is what you make of it. It can be a rewarding experience if you just give it a chance. Despite some of the horror stories of mean customers, people are generally good. Being proud of the company you work for and building relationships with regulars and your coworkers are only a few ways to make retail work less daunting.