Working In Retail: As Told By Friends

Working In Retail: As Told By Friends

"Your job's a joke, you're broke..."

117
Working In Retail: As Told By Friends
Durango Herald

Working in retail is rough, and no one told you life was gonna be this way... but your friends get you.

When You First Get Hired

When you first got hired you were bright-eyed and super excited, it was a new job with (hopefully) exciting adventures to come your way.

When People Tell You The Customer Is Always Right

No, they're really not. Actually, most times, the customer is wrong.

When You're Expected To Stop Thieves

If some like 6'7" man is gonna steal a blouse, do you expect little 5'5" me to go tackle him? Or if some old woman shoves something in her bag do you realize how socially awkward I am? I can't go up to her and be like, "Ma'am, I saw you." No. Hire a security guard if you're that concerned.

When You're On Break But Still Hear People Yelling Over The Walkie-Talkies

When A Coworker Tells A Manager That You Did Something Wrong

Well, never trusting you again.

When Your Manager Tells You That You Can Go Clock Out

Thank you and goodbye suckers.

That One Coworker Who Tries To Act Like A Manager Even Though They're Not One

You are literally not the boss of me, stop telling me what to do or telling me I'm not trying hard enough.

Having To Miss Out On Friend Outings Because You Have Work

Literally one of the worst things in the world, especially when you see all the pictures on Instagram after you get off

When You Find Out You and Your Favorite Coworker Are Working The Same Shift

Ohhhh, no work is getting done with you both being there at the same time.

Working Black Friday

*shivers*

When Customers Ruin Something You Worked Hard To Make Look Neat/Pretty

Are you serious? Do you understand how long that took me?

Not Flirting... Doing Your Job

Hey customers, me greeting you and being polite and asking if you need help if NOT me flirting with you, I'm honestly just trying to impress my manager and earn my paycheck.

When The Store Got Busy While You Were On Break And The Manager Asks Why You Didn't Help

Remember when I asked if I could take my break and you said yeah? That's why.

When A Customer Mistakes The Checkout For A Therapy Session and Unloads Their Whole Life Story

Ma'am, I'm very sorry that you just lost your pet goldfish and that your brother hates your cat but I have a line of 10 people behind you...

When All Customers Have The Same Jokes

"Bet you can't wait to get off, can you?" "I'm your favorite customer!" "Bet the last thing you want to do when you get home is fold clothes." "There was no tag on it, it must be free!"

hahahahahahagetanewjokeyouallusethesameoneshahahahaha

When Managers Treat You Like Robots Instead of Human Beings Who Have Feelings and Need Breaks

"Can you wait like three more hours to talk your break?" "I know you're helping a customer right now but when you're done can you go help out on register then when the lines die down can you go fix the denim wall then when you're done with that can you move in and just never leave and never take a break ever?"

When People Try To Return Things Past The Return By Date and Act Like It's Your Fault

Sorry ma'am, I can't accept this shirt you purchased five years ago with an obvious stain on it, our return policy is 14 days.

When A Customer Needs Help After You've Already Clocked Out

Nope sorry, I'm clocked. I am avoiding eye contact with every customer as I strut out. Not my circus, not my clowns.

When A Customer Says They're Never Coming Back Again

I couldn't really care less, I'm still getting paid either way.

"Do You Work Here?"

No, I just enjoy wearing a name tag and a walkie talkie everywhere I go. Yes, I freaking work here, what do you want?

10 Minutes Past Closing and People Still Are In The Store

GET OUT! We don't leave when you do, after you leave we have to clean up all the mess you made. The sooner you leave, the sooner we can too. GET. OUT. It's not funny or cute that you are staying past closing time, it's rather annoying and we'll remember your stupid face for the rest of our retail career.

When Everyone Else You Know Has Weekends Off But You Still Have Work

No, you go have fun going out to meals or going shopping or going bowl or the movies on your Saturday night. I'll be working the register at whatever store you decide to go on a mega shopping spree at. Working. On the weekend. When everyone else is out having fun. It's fine. I'm fine.

Working retail is rough. You're job's a joke, you're broke. You had no idea what you were getting into when you started this job. It's almost like you're stuck in second gear... you know, when it hasn't been your day, your week, your month of even your year. But hey, other retail workers and your friends will be there for you. Hang in there champ, you don't have to keep this job for the rest of your life. (Dear God, please don't make me have to work this job for the rest of my life.)