Working At A Cupcake Shop
Food Drink

What It's Like to work at a cupcake shop

It's sugar and spice and everything nice!

178
https://smallcakesjenks.com/

This is my second summer working at a cupcake shop in Jenks, OK called Smallcakes. It's a unique experience and my favorite job that I've ever had. The work can be messy, but it's also fun. My job has many aspects, from baking cupcakes to folding to-go boxes. I especially enjoy helping the customers choose cupcakes. The little kids that come in are always thrilled for such a treat. Some people eat their cupcakes in the store, and some take a box to go, while others still order custom cupcakes ahead of time. Our resident decorator is über talented, and it's a privilege to watch her work. Whether it's unicorn cupcakes or a themed birthday cake, her creations are masterpieces. She even made me a cake once. She's my favorite person to work with because we always have fun. When we're baking, we challenge ourselves to measure out the exact amount of mix using the digital scale, so it's not a fraction of an ounce over. When we put liners in the cupcakes trays, we see how many we can slide off the bottom of the stack before one pops out the top.

Once the cupcakes are baked, they need to be decorated. Although I haven't mastered decorating the cupcakes, I learn by watching others do it. The finished products in the display case always look perfect and delicious. One of our most popular flavors and one I can decorate is the Birthday Cake. It's vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream dipped in rainbow sprinkles. The vanilla is my favorite flavor, and the sprinkles add a nice texture. The same is true of my favorite cupcake: the Pink Vanilla. It's also vanilla cake and buttercream, but the buttercream is light pink and dipped in pink sugar. The slightly crunchy texture keeps me reaching for one every time. We have a range of flavors, and create new ones occasionally, as well. Some cupcakes are filled, some are topped with fudge or caramel. Some of our other flavors are Cookies 'n Cream, Salted Caramel Crunch, Red Velvet, Carrot Cake, Strawberry, and Chocolate Cream, which are like Ho-Hos.

When I'm not baking, I become the box fairy. We have boxes that hold from one to a dozen cupcakes, each with varying difficulty to fold. We fill one of the walls of the dining area with three different box sizes. Plus, we need to keep them stocked behind the counter. It's both aesthetic and practical. You're probably wondering if baking in a shop is anything like baking at home. I can tell you this, I get to lick the spoon. The same equipment is involved, it's just on a bigger scale than what you do at your grandma's house. Overall, I'm so grateful for this job. I work with great people, I make things that bring joy to people, and I get a 50% discount. What could be sweeter than that?

If you're ever near Jenks and want to stop by, check out our website for more information!