Working In College

How To Work A Job As A College Student

Don't worry, it's not impossible.

67
Worker pouring coffee

October is here which means midterm season is in full swing. Managing to get good grades as a college student is a time-consuming task and working a job on top of that can be quite draining. Whether you're working your job to help pay for college or for extra spending money, you have to manage your time well and make an effort to keep good grades. As a full time college student that has a full time job, I have learned how to maintain both and still get good grades in the process. Here are some ways you can do well in school and still keep your job.

1. Use a planner.

This has been one of the most crucial things for me to maintain my classwork, my work schedule, and personal matters. Having a planner, whether it is virtual or a physical planner helps you manage your time and allows you not to miss anything you may need to do. One of my close friends always tells me, "you only have 24 hours in the day, make the best of it." This can seem stressful when you take out all the required things you have to do, but knowing how much time I have to work with helps me prioritize what I want to do.

2. Don't procrastinate.

When you feel like there aren't enough hours in the day to get done what you need to, sometimes it seems like it may be best to wait to start your assignments until the day before they are due. This was a hard habit to break for me, and I still struggle with it sometimes. But by not waiting to start assignments, you are helping your future self be less stressed.

3. Have a strong support system.

Sometimes you get stressed and need to have a way to relieve that stress in a healthy manner. For me, the best way to relieve stress is to go to the movies with some friends or go to one of their houses and enjoy a dinner where I don't have to worry about my obligations. When your schedule is packed full, it is often easy to forget about your friends and only focus on school or work. Still maintain these relationships because you're going to need them to be there for you and will want to have someone to help you when you need it.

4. Make time for yourself.

It can seem like working a job and going to school are the most important things in your life and you do not have time to do anything else, but making time for yourself is one of the best things you can do. This will help you maintain good mental health and will help you achieve your goals. What works best for me is to block out some time in my planner where I am not working, doing school work, or doing anything that I might consider to be draining on my energy.

5. Get enough sleep!

Studies have shown getting enough sleep helps maintain mental health and can lead to get better grades. By getting that eight hours of sleep, you are making all of your day-to-day tasks easier.

6. Be open with your bosses and professors.

Having an open line of communication is crucial for doing well in classes and in your job. If your boss knows in advance that you have an exam coming up, often they can schedule you less right before the exam. Sometimes it can seem easiest to keep work and school separate, but lots of jobs that higher students know that school is a priority to them and will work with you to help you succeed at both the job and school.