7 Reasons Why You Should Work At A Family Owned Restaurant

Some of the best relationships you’ll ever have are made here.

697

You turn sixteen. With your work permit in one hand and a resume in the other, the world becomes your oyster just waiting for the perfect opportunity. Application after application, you find many employers need experience. How much experience can you grab since it was just last Tuesday you got your permit?

You stumble across a family restaurant that is eager to have you and hire you on the spot. THIS was the place I wanted to work and happened to be where I would stay for almost four years. Why is it when I compare my experiences with those working at some big name company, mine seems a tad different? Here is why family restaurants are the best restaurants to work for.

1. You instantly gain a second family

Top: Annual Haunted House Outing Bottom: S.P.I.N. Boo-n-Brew 5K

Hannah R. Porter

I was in school during my time at Sweet Lucy's, a family owned and operated BBQ restaurant in Northeast Philadelphia. If I was not in class, I was at Lucy's. Therefore, I was spending more time there than my actual home! My bosses became inspirations for me (women in power!) and people I looked up to. They took me under their wings and worked with my constantly changing schedule.

They always encouraged me to do my best whether it was work related or asking about my classwork. Even when it was time for me to move on to a job that would help me in my future career, they helped me with a letter of recommendation and always asked for updates. In family restaurants, they treat their employees like their own family and only want the best for them. My coworkers, too, became a part of this crazy family.

My best friends are the people I met here. They've become my venters, my 2 am closers, my midnight dinner dates, and my adopted sisters and brothers. I even met my boyfriend working at Lucy's! I will never meet more crazy, wonderful, and hilarious individuals.

2. You gain a lot of new skills

Swiped Sweet Trolls

Let's talk about how crazy a restaurant can get. On busy days, you have tickets piling up, dishes on rack upon rack, there are no backups made, one customer is complaining over EVERYTHING, the bar has glassware that needs polishing and is becoming over-sat, there is a reservation of 30 taking up half the restaurant, and of course there is always that one employee who has had enough and is giving you an attitude. No matter what restaurant you work for, these are very very common struggles.

Here's how working at a family restaurant helps with all these. Bosses hop on the line with you when you have a ton of tickets and praise how hard you are working while cracking some jokes. Half (if not all) of the closing employees help our dish room out after closing their area so we all get out together. We always try to please the customers, which means some free desserts here and there.

We expanded the restaurant to have more seating and always have people jumping in to help at the bar or picking up tickets, something that can be hard if you're within a corporation. As an individual, you learn leadership, delegation, time management, communication, and patience. My bosses made me a supervisor at 19. It was because of this that I was able to demonstrate these skills. If it wasn't for their trust and faith in me, which I have gained because of our relationship, I would not be where I am today. I also grew some thicker skin, which means not as much crying as I usually do.

3. Your actual family becomes a part of your work family

Cary Porter, Guy Porter, and Hannah Porter

Hannah R. Porter

Siblings are more likely to get hired if you work for a family restaurant. Truly a family! Each one of my siblings now works at Lucy's. They hired them on the spot. They promised my little brother since he was fourteen that once he was sixteen on his birthday they would hire him. Management also takes time to know your actual family.

Every time my father walks in to buy brisket, my bosses know his name and talk like old friends. My bosses make an effort to get to know us and want us to be apart of their business. Upper management really does make the time to do this and genuinely care about their workers. Corporations many at times only care about the money.

4. Management is up for changes, ideas, and complaints

Now, they will not change everything you suggest, but they sure do take it into consideration. There is no "corporate pressure" when making changes. We have added new sides, new seating areas, new drinks, and so much more. There are no "corporate hoops" to jump through. If there is a problem, there is no calling corporate. "Corporate" is most likely in the manager's office five feet away from you. Whenever there is a problem they are the first to bring you in and honestly sit down and talk to you. They do not put you down nor do you have to follow strict rules corporate set.

Of course, not everything is perfect, nothing ever is. Yet, at family restaurants, you are much more comfortable expressing concerns and ideas. Meetings are set up monthly for supervisors and every six months for other employees to make changes and see what they can improve on. This is something you do not see all the time.

5. They want to see you grow

Sweet Lucy's BBQ

I started as a cashier. I then worked in the dining room, then on the line putting food together, then expo-ing out the food, then gathered catering, then bartended, and finally, I became a supervisor. I grew so much in the years I have been there. For many of the employees, this is a familiar experience. They always want to cross-train you as much as possible.

Since I showed interest and was always willing to pitch in when needed, they trusted me and wanted to help me move up. In corporate restaurants, your roles are more defined and must go up a chain of command while in family-owned restaurants, they are much more flexible. Management wants you to move up and wants to support you. When you feel like you don't know what you are doing, they will take the time to teach you and train you.

6. Your regulars become a part of this crazy family, too!

Jay is gluten free. Never gets cornbread with his order, maybe orders chicken, beef, or ribs (or a combo!). Favorite beer is a Fat Tire (he even has a Fat Tire hat!). John only gets chicken breast on a long roll with sauce on the side and a fountain drink. Don't you dare forget to punch his sandwich card! Oh Bob and Barb, our favorite bar couple. They bring in jello shots for us, always makes us laugh, and Barb always gets extra dressing! Just to name a few, these are some of my favorite faces walking in.

I bartended at Lucy's once I turned 18. I know so much about all of them. You learn so much from them, as they do from you. These regulars become apart of our family too, as we talk to them about things in their lives, talk about new things in the restaurant, and talk to our bosses/restaurant owners who even know them all by name! This restaurant atmosphere has helped me develop my people skills, but I have also met some amazing people who did not even work there throughout my time at Lucy's.

7. There is always a Thank You

Staticflickr

Every Christmas, we get handwritten Christmas cards with gifts and bonuses. Every busy day means a "Thank you!" message pop on our phones from our scheduling app. We have an employee of the quarter. We throw parties and outings (e.g., baseball games, 5K's, bowling) all paid for by management. They care about us. There is always a thank you for our hard work.

And THANK YOU family-owned restaurant, for giving me this crazy family I will forever hold near and dear to my heart.