Words To Remember

Words To Remember

Some rush these four years of our lives when really we should sit back and enjoy it.

17
Words To Remember
Me

I know only being out of high school for a summer isn't that long but I am currently sitting at the edge of my bed, suppose to be cleaning my room but got side tracked as usual, when I came across my yearbook. So I decided to read signatures and with over thirty sincere and meaningful signatures; I started to get an ache in my heart. It's all over and it just hit me now. They already handed me the diploma and I'm out of that school forever.

Which is a good thing because it's time to experience new and great things, however is also sad. I made friends that I'll keep but already lost some. I learned more about myself and became the person I am today because of high school. And even with mixed emotions about high school a part of me wishes I could do it all again. So with all this being sad here is a letter to incoming freshmen:

Dear incoming freshman,

I know the words written are probably ones you've heard before or they're words that you don't think apply to you, I promise you they do.

The morning before your first day of ninth grade you can hardly sleep. Patiently waiting for the sun to rise so you can get ready. It's time to meet new people and maybe start a fresh start for yourself. You take your morning shower, get dress and some of you will skip breakfast which will become a habit for you. But make sure you always grab something to eat before school. It will put you in the right mood.

Now you're at school your hearts racing and your speechless. The school is bigger than you remembered during your eighth grade visit. Some of you are lost so you ask an upperclassmen for help. They send you too the wrong class because they find it funny. Which for them it is, because they were there.

You get some your first day of school and your classes sound fun and your teachers sound great. But as the week progresses it all begins to get harder. It's not like middle school anymore when during the first week of school you get to know each other. You get right to work.

Some of you have decided to take on clubs and sports. You made a wise choice. Get involved, make new friends and learn new things. High school is NOT just to sit in a class room and read from a text book.

Now you're a few weeks into school and there's an open house party. You and your group of friends decide to go, because high school party! So why not?

You all get ready together and all tell one another parents your sleeping over the other persons house. You get to the party and there's alcohol everywhere, people are hooking up and people are experimenting with drugs in the upstairs bathroom.

ifi you do not want to do something, you do not have to do it.
You think they're going to make fun of you Monday in first period for not drinking, but they won't. You think that if you don't drink or smoke pot that you're not going to fit in or be considered "cool." I promise you that isn't how it works. Always be yourself. That way you'll find your crowd of people anyway.

With that being said. It's okay to party if you want too, just be careful. It's okay to stay home to study for that test on Monday. I hope you get an A! It's okay to date the girl/boy everyone finds weird. Haven't you seen the movies?? They usually end up happy in the end despite other people. Prom king and queen isn't as big as you think. In fact, it's not even going to be the girl everyone finds "popular."

And in a blink of an eye your onto your senior year. It was just last year you took SATs, studied every night and went for college visits. Now it's a chill year. You have amazing things coming up. Enjoy them. This is it. This is your time to be young and free because you're running out of time to do so. This is the final chapter of your life before u take that last step from childhood to adulthood. Enjoy it.

Because soon enough you'll be like me. Getting my school supplies ready for August 24th, working two jobs, possibly interning and trying to save as much money as possible. Don't stress over the people who don't try to stay in your life and focus on the people who make the efforts you make. Stay happy and take care of yourself. And love yourself always because no one is ever going to fully love you like you could.

Now take a deep breath and enjoy the next four years of your life.

Sincerely,
An upcoming college freshman