Words Might Not Break Our Bones, But They Do Hurt

8 words we need to stop using as a comparison/metaphor.

112

Language is such a tricky thing. It can be interpreted in many ways and can affect people in multiple ways. There is this idea that people have become "too sensitive". I believe that people may just be more in tact with the way they are feeling/affected by words and actually expressing this. I think if we can work on the way we use certain words, we can take steps towards people engaging with others in a more positive manner. Below is a list of 8 words that are too often used to compare someone to something or compare certain conditions to something. If we can stray from using these words as a comparison, we might be able to engage with people in a more delightful way.

1. Crazy/insane

Typically this word is used when defining someone's behavior, especially with someone who has a mental health issue. In my opinion, you are adding fuel to the fire. There is a stigma that people who have mental health issues are violent. More times than not this is not true. Calling people crazy or insane is just adding to the stigmas that already exist surrounding mental health.

2. Retarded

I absolutely hate this word. There is no actual reasoning behind using this word without it putting a person below someone. People have supported the use as medical terminology. Mental Retardation is the actual medical terminology. When the word retarded is used, it is used in the place of stupid. If someone believes something is stupid, then say stupid and not retarded. Stupid is something someone can change, having a developmental disability (or mental retardation) is not.

3. Bitch

I am guilty of using this word too loosely, but I think it creates more of an issue for women. I think there is an attempt for women to "take back the word". I can see why this might make sense but I don't agree with it. I think it just makes the stigma towards "being a bitch" worse. If both men and women stop using the word as a comparison, then it can make a change.

4. Obsessed

Being obsessed with something is not a trend, it is not controlled. If someone actually has an obsession, it causes dysfunction in their lives. So we should be "totally obsessed" with not using this type of comparison.

5. Depressed

The way the term depressed has been used in language has almost, in a way, taken away the severity of depression. Too often people forget that being depressed is not just being sad. There is so much more that goes into having depression and it can actually be a very serious issue for some people. So if something is making you sad, don't automatically say "this is so depressing", as if it's not an actual mental health issue and can be switched on and off.

6. N****r

Similar to the word bitch, this term is used in order for a group of people to take power back. Also similar to the word bitch, I do not think that it is working. I see where the idea stems from but I don't think it is strong enough. The history of this word still lives on and power still stems from it. If the black community continues to focus on using this word instead of others, they are only allowing the racist bigots to win.

7. Pussy

A female's body part should not be used to describe how "weak" someone is. Having a vagina does not make someone weak or cowardly. Both men and women use this word to signify weakness. Both men and women need to figure out new ways to tell people their weak, not that they're pussies. Because that would mean that they are vaginas and I am not sure that's what they're going for.

8. Gay

Someone's sexual orientation should also not be used to describe something as being stupid, dumb or abnormal. Once again, this is something that people have no control of (contrary to people's beliefs). Society as a whole needs to understand this and figure out other ways to talk about things.

Hopefully this sheds some light on the way that language is used and the way that we talk about things/people.