10 Words That Prove You Can Never Take New York Out Of A New Yorker

You may take the girl out of New York for 8 months every year, but you can never take New York out of this girl.

680
Unsplash

Though I clearly attend the University of Virginia and consider myself at home in Charlottesville, I still feel most loyal to my New York roots wherever I go. Spending a month at home over winter break further reminded me of the many personality quirks and qualities that New Yorkers generally seem to possess.

Whether you're in Manhattan or on Long Island, there seem to be several words and phrases that apply to the average New Yorker you'll pass on the street. Some of these I'm proud to demonstrate, others I try to stifle more than flaunt, but based on my experience, it's hard to honestly say you grew up a New Yorker without admitting to at least some of these personality traits.

1. Tough

New Yorkers have been through a lot over the years, and they also have to navigate the almost-indecipherable New York subway system, so they know how to pull themselves through just about any situation. New Yorkers are often reluctant to ask for help themselves because they think they can withstand anything, which isn't always true, but I do admire how New Yorkers can view just about any roadblock as or obstacle as "a part of life" and move through it without complaining.

2. Cynical

With their toughness, and also their many sports franchises that have struggled in recent years, New Yorkers tend to be pretty cynical about the ways of the world. It may start with their history of corrupt state and city politics, or perhaps it's more cemented in the fact that the Jets haven't been to the Super Bowl since 1969.

Either way, we, unfortunately, tend to view many situations as either equally positive and negative or skewing to the more negative outcome. At the very least, by expecting the worst, we're pleasantly surprised when things work out.

3. Confident

One thing I admire about the New Yorkers I know is that they're generally pretty confident in themselves and their stances on life. Just the thought that we're from the Big Apple helps us walk a little taller every day.

New York working professionals confidently strut around Manhattan like they're on a runway critiqued by Heidi Klum, but this confidence also extends to our belief that we have a right to be heard and that our opinions matter.

4. Food elitists

This isn't really a "word" per say, but New Yorkers tend to firmly believe that their state is the capital of several foods, namely pizza and bagels and, to a lesser extent, doughnuts. This causes us to scoff at the idea that Domino's is considered "pizza" rather than merely "nourishment" everywhere else in the country.

Sorry Bodo's, but you're still half the size of and less crispy than a REAL New York bagel. I stand by this.

5. Loud

Based on my experiences on trains, subways, and streets surrounded by busy New Yorkers talking on the phone or in-person, they generally don't speak at a particularly subtle volume. Depending on the situation, New Yorkers know how to assert themselves into a conversation with volume alone.

They're also extremely enthusiastic cheerers at sporting events and concerts, which makes for deafening cheers every time Billy Joel steps on stage at Madison Square Garden for the (approximately) 125th consecutive month.

6. Opinionated

In my experience, New Yorkers generally aren't wishy-washy about many things. Whether it's about the best offseason moves for the Yankees this year or recent mayoral decisions, New Yorkers are great at coming up with a strong opinion on just about any subject and sticking to it, against any and all opposition.

7. Impatient

If you've ever witnessed New Yorkers bolting across the street as soon as the light turns yellow, or just crossing the street when it's still straight-up green and assuming all cars will stop for them, you've seen this impatience in action.

If you've witnessed businessmen swerving around you in Times Square when you're just trying to get a picture with a sketchy Mickey Mouse, you've also experienced classic New York-style impatience at its finest.

8. Defensive

This also ties into New Yorkers having a strong opinion on just about everything, and once they form that opinion, they tend to defend it within an inch of their lives.

New Yorkers grow up with the knowledge that their city is considered the "best" in many industries, and if anyone tries to challenge this, watch out because they'll be prepared to tell you exactly why New York is so amazing at the drop of a hat. But don't worry too much about this, unless they unexpectedly break out a PowerPoint presentation.

9. Strong-willed

Though unfortunately, we can't all be Beyonce, New Yorkers are some of the most determined, resolute people you'll ever meet. We've grown up knowing that Manhattan is full of professional, education, and entertainment opportunities that millions of people are vying for every day, which prepares us to fight hard for what we want.

10. Fiercely loyal

Above all else, despite the bad, unfriendly rap that we sometimes get, New Yorkers are darn proud to be from New York We're loyal to our state and what it represents because we love hailing from a state that can withstand anything and anyone. Even though we may be thinking of moving to Florida when we retire, we love it here for now.

New Yorkers also recognize that while we may consider moving to other cities after graduation to "experience the rest of the country," we find it hard to believe that we could truly call any other state besides New York home.

If nothing else, New York has Broadway. It's indisputably the theater capital of the world, which for me means that you may take the girl out of New York, but you can never take New York out of this girl.