A Word From Your Captain

A Word From Your Captain

"Oh Captain! My Captain!"

37
A Word From Your Captain
La Roche College Cheer and Dance Team

I've been a dancer for more than half my life, starting at the young age of seven. While I was dancing to the songs of "Mr. Sandman" and "You Can't Stop the Beat," I knew from a very young age that my passion was teaching. I saw how intelligent and cool my teachers were and that's what I wanted to be without a doubt. It wasn't until I got to college that I began my fairly successful teaching career which eventually led to the most important role I would have my senior year: Captain of the cheer and dance team.

This was the leadership role I had been waiting for all of my collegiate career.

It has been quite a long season but yet it has been quite the adventure. It has been from the days of tryouts and deciding on a team to having last minute practices before basketball games. But these were the days that taught me more about myself. More than the usual teammate [that I know of], I would practice day in and day out to perfect my skills, almost to the point that I could drive one crazy; I'd run through cheers before games and have my best friend quiz me, before halftime I'd run through the dance in my head while blocking out anyone around me. So while I drove myself crazy to be perfect, my team taught me that it is okay not to be perfect.

I lead a team that continues to amaze me not only with their wide variety of personalities but the way they become more eager to learn every day. Though the team contains a wide range of talent and experience, they try skills that some would never attempt or believe they could do. Now, I have had my days at practice when no one wanted to try new material but it taught me that I had to continue to push them, no matter what. Though some may believe that you shouldn't push an athlete into something they're not comfortable doing, I have learned and experienced that when you push, that's when the best athletic traits come about.

Someone once said, "Every champion was once a contender that refused to give up."

That is my team.

Also by being Captain, I learned that there will be days that my patience will be tried and tried again but I also have a Coach who teaches me and the rest of us that what happens to upset us, won't matter in five years. In those moments, I rise as a leader and ignore moments that downright frustrate me. Nothing will be solved by yelling at someone or getting an attitude with them or even being petty; You lead a team to better heights and standards by calmly correcting the situation at hand and gracefully bowing out.

By far, this 2015-2016 Cheer and Dance Team has been the best this school has ever had. We go onto that court filled with excitement, nerves, and the ability to trust each other when we need a helping hand. As Captain, being able to spend my senior year choreographing, running practices and answering the endless questions, I couldn't imagine my year any other way.

As my Senior Recognition night approaches quickly as it will pass, I thank my team for teaching me more about myself than I could ever discover on my own. I hope that this season, I have taught you just as much with skills and lessons that you can take away.