4 Ways The Women Behind The March On Washington Are Still Resisting
Politics

The March on Washington was only the beginning.

53
bones64

Most people can probably remember the Women's March on Washington the day before President Trump's inauguration. One million people marched on Washington D.C., and five million people worldwide participated in the march. I remember looking on with pride as I watched the speeches, and songs, and poetry of every person on the stage from my apartment at school. I wanted desperately to be there, to show my outrage at our government and society, to show my support for women of every race, nationality, religion, and sexuality. Feminism is much more than just equal pay for men and women. From it's very beginning, feminism has been a movement for equality in all sections of society. True feminism is intersectional, understanding that not very woman's experience is the same. The Women's March on Washington was a clear example of what it truly means to be a feminist.

They announced their campaign, saying that the Women's March was only the beginning for them. Their campaign is '10 actions / 100 days', meaning 10 actions, or means or resistance and protest, for the first 100 days of Trump's presidency. While the Women's March received worldwide coverage, few media outlets have discussed their other actions. I have decided to list the four they have already done, discuss the one up next, as well as where this information can be found.

Action #1: Postcard

The first action was a call for people to write postcards to their senators, detailing what matter's most to you and how they can help you. They asked everyone to take a picture of their postcard and to post it on social media with the hashtag: WhyIMarch.

Action #2: Huddle

The second action asked everyone to joining a huddle hosted near them to discuss how the world could be more equitable and safer. Their site lists 5,442 huddles, mostly in America. They reminded everyone that the huddles were safe space to voice concerns and opinions.

Action #3: Hear Our Voice

The third action wanted everyone to voice their opinions in public spaces such as town halls. The idea was to go to as many public events as possible and make your voice heard. They even provided facts to discuss and issues to raise during meetings.

Action #4: A Day Without Women

Action number four received a lot more coverage than the previous actions, especially on social media. The basic premise of the action was that if you identified as woman, you should try to not go to work, or classes, or spend money (with exceptions for small, women- and minority-owned businesses). The thought behind the action was to show the value of women in our societies. If you couldn't afford to not go to work, classes, or spend money, they asked that everyone wore red in solidarity with the movement and women in general. A lot of people, myself included, posted pictures of themselves in red with the hashtag: ADayWithoutWomen.

The next action, number five, is called 'Reflect & Resist'. They ask that everyone read or watch from a selected list of books, articles, and films. As you are reading, get in small groups and discuss what you have learned from the material. They also ask that people post their thoughts on social media using #ReflectAndResist. The material is all listed on their page for the action:(https://www.womensmarch.com/reflect-resist/)

I supported the Women's March on Washington, and I am fully behind their campaign. Each action has been focused on what it means to be a feminist, and the experience of women from all backgrounds. I am beyond happy to see the level of participation and involvement. To me, that says that our voices are being heard and that women will no longer be ignored, or left out of politics. If you would like to be notified about the next actions, I urge you to go to their website and sign up for email notifications. (https://www.womensmarch.com/).

Their social media outlets:

Twitter: @womensmarch

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/womensmarchonwash/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/womensmarch/

They also sell merchandise and accept donations. I urge everyone to follow them and to participate in the actions. Even if you are not a woman, that is no matter; Show your support for the women in your lives. Feminism is for everyone. The support of women is everyone's responsibility.