The Women's March Made History One Year Ago, And It Made History Again This Year

And we marched, again.

204
kenfagerdotcom / Flickr

Almost an entire year has passed since our “President” was Inaugurated into his perplexing position of power.

Donald Trump won — yet, ongoing investigations into Russia’s involvement in the election prove otherwise – and we have already witnessed enough insanity to question if this whole year has been a terrible nightmare or if we traveled into the “upside down” ("Stranger Things" style).

Whatever the scenario, many of us can agree that this Presidency has been one “WTF” moment after another.

Something great that did result from the terror of having an egotistical, racist, inappropriate, unqualified bigot sworn in as our country’s “leader:" the Women’s March on Washington.

The March sparked an entirely new wave of activists and protesters to join together in the name of equality and feminism. And the booming crash of that wave was heard so loudly around the world that not a single person could deny that history had just been made.

I think even the spirits of our original feminist sisters were heard chanting, “YAS KWEEN[S]!”.

Last year, I proudly wore my pink hat (handknitted by my mother) and marched alongside friends and strangers in the streets of Washington D.C.

This was my first trip to our nation’s capital, and it was certainly an experience I will never forget. I was charged with the excitement and energy of being shoulder-to-shoulder with thousands of strangers showing their support for all citizens of this country.

To be part of that moment, with my boyfriend’s stepmom at my side, was an incredibly surreal experience. And to have been part of that experience once again was an honor, as my hometowns and cities of Upstate New York celebrated the one year anniversary of the Women’s March.

Local areas held marches of their own on January 20th to show the President and his followers that we never stopped fighting and we will continue to march and speak up until the people of this country are treated fairly, equally and with respect.

Our country still raises its eyebrows and holds its breath while the remains of our government crumble under the weight of the lies and corruption that Trump and his henchmen (and henchwomen) have recklessly thrown around.

One year later, we got to raise more than our eyebrows; we exhaled and breathed easier, knowing that decent human beings still did exist.

One year later, we were able to celebrate, together, the progress we have made and the steps we will continue to take.

We held our protest signs up high, again.

We made our voices heard while Trump still continues to force us into silence and complacency.

We marched again for equality and human rights. We marched against the unjust conditions that much of our government has left us in.

We marched to honor the history that women and men have made, and continue to make, by standing up with each other and for each other.

Happy one year anniversary to the Women’s March on Washington.

We have come so far, and have farther to go. One thing I took away from this year's march was making sure people know just how crucial it is to get involved in your community.

And, maybe more importantly, that we need to be getting out there to the polls to VOTE, in ALL elections.

This movement will only gain more traction if we do everything in our power to make change happen and continue to inspire change across this nation and beyond.

And now I propose, the Women’s March on the World.