Women's Emotions Should Be Validated, Full Stop

Let women be angry. And sad. And happy.

157
Unsplash

Hopefully, everyone knows that sexism is real. If you don't know that, that's another article I've already written and you should check it out! Now, if you are half a human and realize that sexism is real here's something people don't often talk about: the lack of range of emotions that women are allowed to have.

I am very aware that men are not allowed a full range of emotions either and are limited to only anger by society. This is an issue that should be dealt with. However, that is not an experience I can speak to since I was not assigned male at birth nor do I identify as a man.

I think women are alotted the opposite emotions from men. They are allowed to be happy or cry but that is all. Women are constantly being told to "smile" and "be happy" and they'll look better if they "put on a happy face." Conversely, crying is alotted to women since it's considered a feminine behavior. However, I do not like the idea that a natural human reaction is only allotted to one gender but I also didn't create these stupid gender norms so there's that.

But also, if I do cry, it's attributed to the fact that I'm a woman not to the fact that whatever happened to cause that was really great or really terrible.

The thing that annoys me most about this is the lack of anger that women are allowed to feel. If someone does something you don't appreciate, you would be pissed off, yes? So why aren't women allowed to be angry? Often times it's shrugged off or even fetishized. Often, for women being angry about one single thing automatically leads to being called a "bitch." For black women, it's attributed to a stereotype and our actual needs or feelings are never taken into account.

For women who are shorter stature, their anger is often called "cute" or infantilized and dismissed. Which is obviously wrong. Don't ever call anyone cute when they're pissed at you because I can guarantee that will not fix anything. Also, even when children are angry at you, I don't think you should diminish their anger just because you are older than them or in a position of power. You're teaching them that their emotions are invalid because they're "young."

Women's anger is also fetishized as feisty or fiery or sexy but not taken seriously. women, surprising as it might be, do not simply live and exist so that everything they say, do and think can be sexualized and objectified. I know, crazy, right?!

I've said this before but I am very against people who are extremely positive and tell you that you don't have a reason to be upset. I mean the "there are starving children in Africa so your life could be worse" kind of people.

Yes, it is bad that kids are starving but multiple things can be bad at the same time. War and movies can both be sad but in different ways but that doesn't make one happier than the other? Basically, the moral here is stop telling people how they can and can't feel. All emotions are valid and no one should ever make you feel guilty for being sad about something in your life instead of the starving children in Africa that apparently everyone should be thinking about always.

Men's tears are valid.

Women's anger is valid.

And as I always say, let women live!