Strong Women Of The World
Politics

Strong Women Of The World

May we know, be and raise them.

19
Strong Women Of The World
Life Hack

With all the news surrounding women lately, I figured it was time to give credit to some of the women who have helped our world. Without further ado, in no particular order:

Rosa Parks: "The only tired I was, was tired of giving in."

Rosa Parks was an African American civil rights activist who chose not to give up her seat on the bus. This action spurred the Montgomery boycott and other efforts to end segregation.

Amelia Earhart: "Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done."

Earhart was the first American woman to fly solo across the Atlantic. She paved the way for women into aviation and celebrated doing what we thought was impossible.

Frida Kahlo: “I don't paint dreams or nightmares, I paint my own reality.”

Kahlo was a Mexican artist known for her self-portraits. She was outspoken and was blunt with her work, which created the space within art for others to do the same.

Florence Nightingale: "I attribute my success to this - I never gave or took any excuse."

Nightingale was the founder of modern nursing. She laid foundation for nursing schools and made sure that medical attention be paid to all. She wanted women to know that they could help the world.

Marie Curie: "Be less curious about people and more curious about ideas."

Curie was a French pysichist who pioneered research in radio activity. She was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize and showed the world that women can be powerful in science.

Coco Chanel: "The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud."

Chanel was a fashion designer, most known for creating the iconic Chanel brand and of course, Chanel No. 5 perfume. But she also was one of the first designers after WWI to push for casual styles for women instead of corsetted clothing, making room for body positivity in the 1900's.

Hillary Clinton: "The worst thing that can happen in a democracy–as well as in an individual's life–is to become cynical about the future and lose hope: that is the end, and we cannot let that happen."

Clinton is a politician and senator who most recently was the Democratic party candidate for President this year. She has been an advocate for women's rights, especially for voting, reproduction and education. She continues to speak out on these issues and sends the message to women everywhere to never stop standing up for your rights.

Sylvia Plath: "I took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. I am. I am. I am."

Plath was a world-renowned poet, novelist and short story writer. Her words continue to captivate and teach us today thanks to their authenticity.

Virginia Woolf: "You cannot find peace by avoiding life."

Woolf was another poet and author who showed that just because you've had issues in your life, doesn't mean you can't create something great. She published numerous works on her illness, but was also never afraid to speak her mind on any and every topic.

Malala Yousifazi: “One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.”

Yousifazi is a young Pakistani girl who is an activist for women's rights and access to education. She was shot after her words on her country's rights rose to prominence, but that didn't stop her from continuing to speak out.

Maya Angelou: "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Angelou was a poet, a memoirist and an activist. Her spoken-word influenced poetry allowed the country to come together under times of strife. She showed just how powerful words can be.

Sophia Bush: "I believe all men, all women, regardless of race, gender, socioeconomic background, you deserve the same rights.”

Bush is known mainly for being an actress, but in recent years has been a well informed political activist. She has used social media to advocate for a number of issues and isn't afraid of what anyone will say, defending all her positions with facts. She's a great example of how women can be active within the political spectrum today and how you need to continue to learn from everything around you.

Kerry Washington: “Today there are people trying to take away rights that our mothers, grandmothers and great-grandmothers fought for: our right to vote, our right to choose, affordable quality education, equal pay, access to health care. We the people can’t let that happen.”

Washington, another actress, has recently been speaking out against the abuses of power in government and in our country, specifically pertaining to our civil liberties. She has been a voice for those everywhere and has allowed her work in the entertainment industry to reflect that.

And any woman who has stood up and spoken. Here's to you, to all of us.