Reading The 30 Rules For Being A 'Godly' Woman Made My Eyes Bleed

I don't remember learning this in religion class.

189

So I recently saw this, um, interesting post on my Facebook timeline. It's a pretty straightforward list of ways a woman can be "godly" in her relationship. I'm not going to lie, this post made my brain shut down momentarily, as it couldn't comprehend the stupidity it was witnessing.

First of all, let me state the obvious; this post gives women 30 rules to follow while only giving men 13. Right there is a red flag. But let's dive into some of these rules, shall we?

Right off the bat, the first rule is to never raise your voice to your husband because it's a sign of disrespect. I'm a firm believer that if you have to constantly raise your voice at your significant other, you two should probably not be together. Regardless, what is a woman going to do when her husband is raising his voice at her? Sit there with her head hanging down? I don't think so.

Rule number nine tells us to not be a wasteful wife, that our husband's sweat is "too precious to be wasted." I have no idea what that means, so I'm assuming this post would like me to jar my husband's sweat. Maybe they want me to give it to him for a drink in his packed lunch for work or something? I don't know; I'm lost here. I mean, rule 25 tells me to greet my husband when he comes home with a glass of water, so maybe that's when I use the sweat. I don't want to be wasteful!

The whole list is pretty crazy, but rule 10 is my favorite. It tells me to never fake an illness to deny my husband sex since sex is extremely important to men. It goes on to say that no man can withstand "sex starvation." I figured there would be a rule like this eventually. I agree with this rule though, you shouldn't fake an illness to deny sex, you should just say "no" and leave it at that because your husband is a grown man and you have free will.

This post gives me a mixture of blood-boiling fury and pure entertainment. Here's my point in writing this; I don't believe submitting to a man makes a woman "godly." Nowhere on this list did they mention doing good deeds in the name of God, or taking time to read the Bible and pray. These are things I learned in my many years of religion class, as I worked towards receiving my sacraments. Never in my church did the priest or youth leader tell me that in order to make God happy I'd have to submit to a man and let go of my own identity.

The worst part about this post is that young, impressionable women are reading this and listening to it! Instead of drilling this bullshit into their heads, we should be teaching young women to build their faith under their own individual identity.