Women Drafted Into The Military

Women Drafted Into The Military

The "unfairness" of having a women draft

24
Women Drafted Into The Military
Authorized Boots

Very recently, a bill was passed that would require all women between the ages of 18-26 to register in the draft for the military. It was during World War Two that men became obliged by law to register for the draft and it has stuck since then. Since the beginning of time, it seems, men have always been expected to do the heavy lifting and have always held this position in society that made it seem like they were superior. Not too long ago, women began fighting for equal rights and arguing that women were more than capable of doing everything a man could, maybe even better. Since women have begun fighting for equality, we have been given the right to vote, work in various fields that were previously held by men, even the right to sign up for the military. While we still have a long way to go before everyone are on equal ground, there is still a hypocrisy that comes along with women fighting for equality.

It wasn't until 2015 that two women graduated from Army Ranger School. I will admit that I don't know much about the military and what little knowledge I have is from my history being in the NJROTC program at my high school and the few friends I have who are in the military and the stories they've told me, but I will say this: I know without a doubt in my mind, that the Army Ranger School is one of the most extensive and exhausting programs. In 2015, two women graduated from this program and they were the first in history. This has opened a door for women to now be in and be a part of the most elite programs and forces in the military if they chose to do so. Because of two women, others in the military now have the opportunity to prove that they can do what men can do and thrive in it. Before these two women, it was believed these types of programs were too intense for women and they wouldn't be fit enough for it. This is what fighting for equality is.

The arguments I have heard against this draft, in my mind, have sounded hypocritical. I have heard the arguments, "I have daughters, I don't want to see them sent off to the military" and "I have children, who will take care of them if I go?" and "this isn't fair, why do I have to sign up if men are supposed to?", and lastly "why do I have to sign up because other women want to or think we all should?" During World War Two, do you think mothers wanted to see their sons and husbands sent off to fight a war? Do you think the men who were in the age range to sign up, didn't have children and no one else to care for them? Do you think the men thought it was fair that they were being shipped off to fight a war they wanted no part in? All the women who stayed behind had someone get drafted and leave them behind, not knowing if they'd see them again.

I am the only daughter in my family and I am well within the age range to sign up for the draft and I truly believe that my parents do not want to see me go if I ever have to. I have a best friend who has one other sister who is also within the age range to be drafted, and I truly think she would never want to see her sister go if she had to. But I also have one brother who is in the age range to be drafted and I pray that he will never have to go, and in all honesty, I would rather go than see him go. I think everyone has someone that is in the age range to be drafted, and they never want to see their loved one go if there is ever a need for it. If I am now required, by law, to register for the draft, then I will do it. I was born and raised in the United States, and if there is ever a war where I am needed to protect my home, then I will go and I will fight. Will I be absolutely terrified of the possibility that I may have to go fight a war? Yes, the thought is a terrifying one, but I think the thought that my brothers and my other closest mae friends will have to go is more terrifying to me.

Women have fought for years now to have the same equality as men and have the same respect as men. There are still smaller battles to be won where we are all equal, but the women who started these battles did not do so in order for us to say "oh that's not fair, that's a man's job". The women who have fought, and even died, to have equality did not do so for us to say, "I want to be respected like men, but don't expect me to do that because that's his job". If I want the same respect as a man, then I will do a "man's job".