Are women really worse at driving then men?
Politics

A hasty generalization about someone driving based on there gender.

12

Alright let me tell a story, today I was driving with a co-worker who was at the wheel and while driving straight down a road a car in front of us who was clearly trying to navigate was driving rather slow. My co-worker who is a white male became very impatient driving behind this car and as soon as the driver in front of us pulled over my co-worker zoomed past. For me I did pay much attention to the person at the wheel at the car in front of us because there was no crime committed just a case of trying to navigate. While driving away my co-worker started making some hasty generalization about the driver stating that is why women are terrible driving. Having not seen or paid much attention to the driver I asked how did you know that was a women my co-worker then decided to turn around and drive back to take a second look. The driving of the car was appeared to from looks be a women and after determining that the flood gates were open for a dragged on monologue about how women can not drive. Myself, a person who identifies as a women, clearly took offense because even though I know he as a person dislike thinking about how words many impact someone I could not help it. His comment became increasingly worse when he said "I will never get in a car if she is driving". I chose to follow that up with a statement about how I never received a speeding ticket or driving infraction which then licensed the other male with us who remained quiet to join in since he want to desperately be liked by the old gentlemen. I fully understand that my co-worker will never agree with me or retract his statement so I decided to right my actual response here because why not.

If women are worse drives then why in statistic take from statisa are most fatal accident lead by the male gender (2018). According to the statistic I am looking at in the year 2016 37,000 male were involved in fatal traffic accidents compared to 13000 females were involved in traffic accident even in the US where there is a equal number ratio of males to females with drivers license (Statisa 2018). In an article posted by Broadly it states that male tend to engage in more risky behaviors while driving like driving impaired, without a seatbelt or make risky manuvers (2017). This article also state that insurance company prefer women driver over male drivers (Broadly 2017). Lastly the article stated that in a study done by the IIHS, a nonprofit created by insurance companies, in 2015 71 percent of car accident casual were men (Broadly 2017). Finally according to an article posted on the Safety Resource Center 105.7 million women and 104.3 million men have drivers licenses in the US while men cause 6.1 millions accidents per year and women cause 4.4 million accidents per year (2017). This article also states that men drive more miles per year then women putting them in a less at risk by a small margin the article also states that men get more DUI's and traffic violations (Traffic Safety Store 2017).

Based on the statistic it is completely irrational to state that women are bad at driving because it is not true. It is just that based on my co-workers he is an impatient person who clearly does not like to wait for person, anyone no matter what gender, to take there time while driving since he just want to speed. That being said he should not of made a hasty generatization about women drivers and instead stated he did not like people who drive the speed limit or slow down a little below so they can figure out where they are going but what can you do a tiger never changes there stripes and all you can do is not make the same mistake yourself.

[1] https://www.statista.com/statistics/192074/drivers-in-fatal-crashes-in-us-road-traffic-by-gender-since-1992/

[2] https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/qvdpgv/people-think-women-are-worse-drivers-than-menstatistics-say-otherwise

[3] https://www.trafficsafetystore.com/blog/who-causes-accidents/