20 Things I Wish I Knew Before Coming To Rutgers
Freshman

20 Things I Wish I Knew Before Coming To Rutgers — Buses, Brower And Hitting The Books

Each dining hall has different food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but did you know you can use meal swipes OUTSIDE the dining hall?

715
Students gathered together for an event

Welcome to Rutgers University, home of over 40,000 scarlet knights, the most crowded buses on the east coast, and dining halls that you either love or hate so much you'll miss your mom's cooking. As a freshman, I came to Rutgers completely unaware of how different it would be compared to my former school. There are so many clubs to join, people to meet, and classes to take... so many that it may be difficult to figure out where to start.

I ventured into Rutgers not knowing much but now, this article tells some of the things I wish someone had told me when I first arrived here.

1. Rutgers is HUGE

Rutgers is spread across five campuses where more than 40,000 students live and learn. Busses are key to getting around here and If you're walking, chances are it'll be for a while. Keep this in mind when it starts to get cold out, sweatshirts will become necessary, and when you're picking your classes. If you only have 20 minutes to get from a class on College Ave to one on Livi, you're definitely risking a tardy with these busses.

2. Don't declare your major so fast

Explore your options before declaring your major. Instead of changing your major a few times, don't declare until you truly have to or until you truly know what you want to do. Many students go to college determined to be a certain major, then change half way through! You're never pressured to declare your major until later in your career, so truly explore what your passions are!

3. You won't get all A's

Mistakes will happen, you won't pass every test, and not every class will be easy. You won't get all A's and you may not even pass a class or two. But, it's OK! Try your best, study hard, and pay attention. Life happens but you can bounce back, it just may not be as quick as you want.

4. Talk with your professors

Professors are your friends! You'll be sticking with them for a whole semester, maybe a second if you really like them, and they're here to teach you and help you learn. Make sure you go to office hours, talk with them before or after class, and ask for any feedback on papers or tests.

5. See what classes count as double requirements

Some classes may count for two requirements, whether it's for your major or for the CORE. It'll save it you time and give you the opportunity to pick a fun elective class instead.

6. There is a LOT of walking

If you're not on the bus, you're walking. Not all bus stops are close to your classrooms so you better get used to it! At least it's semi-decent exercise!

7. Find your study space

When midterms and finals come along, you're gonna need a quiet study space. Make sure you find your own space that you can use outside of testing time to gain full concentration because you probably won't be able to have quiet time in your room all the time and the libraries to get pretty packed. Find your own place you can use anytime in case these things happen.

8. The rooms are small, so get organized

Condense, condense, condense. Grab some storage bins, organize your desk wisely, organize your drawers and closets. You're sharing with another person and you're gonna have to keep things on your side in these tiny dorm rooms.

9. Expect delays

The Rutgers bus system will either make your day or ruin it. The buses aren't always on time, most are too crowded to get on, and there will always be a bus when you don't need it and never when you do need it. There are a lot of people just like you trying to get to class so make sure you give yourself enough time for any possible delays, especially during major class times like 9 a.m. or 7 p.m. You may even want to walk to an earlier stop just so you can get on.

10. Don't go home every weekend

If you're not too far away from home you may want to take a drive home most weekends to visit family and friends you left behind. However, try not to go home every weekend because you'll miss things around campus. Whether it's going to a Rutgers party or hanging out with friends playing Mario party and eating takeout, memories are made on campus as much as home. Don't feel like you have to go home and enjoy your weekends on campus too.

11. The crime alerts are real. Be safe!

You'll soon see how quick this email can pop up in your mailbox: a crime alert. While a majority of Rutgers is safe, keep in mind New Brunswick is a big city and can be dangerous at any time. It's important that you don't travel alone, watch your drinks at parties, and stay aware of your surroundings when you are alone.

12. Use your meal swipes outside the dining hall

Each dining hall has different food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but did you know you can use meal swipes OUTSIDE the dining hall? You don't have to continuously go to the dining hall but try other places around Rutgers if you get sick of the dining halls. There are plenty of options on every campus, including the Cook and Douglass cafes, Kilmer's Market on Livi, and even the Starbucks truck!

13. Look into internships early

It'll never be too early to apply for internships and the more the merrier! Any internship looks great but if you start early, you may be able to snag a few in before graduation. And it looks great on a resume! But it also may take a while to get one, so look early and explore all your options!

14. Keep your classes together but NOT back-to-back

Getting to class may be difficult with all these buses, so you may want to schedule all your classes together so you don't have to keep going back and forth. Although it's a good idea, it's an even better idea to not have them back-to-back. Leave some time in between classes to get food, use the bathroom, and stretch before heading to another class. Some of the heavier loaded classes may need more time in between to digest info and, frankly, recover from such info.

15. DO NOT take an 8 a.m. class

So you think you're a morning person? Think again! Even if you believe you can handle an 8 a.m. class, only take it if you absolutely HAVE to. Depending on what campus you live on, it may take a while to get to your class, no one is really awake, and you'll get tired of waking up that early halfway through the semester.

16. Save your money

Although there's plenty of opportunities to go out to party and spend money, it's a better idea to save up as much as possible. Any quarters you have left over can be used for the laundry machine, try to use all your meal swipes by the end of the semester, and try not to spend ALL of your money on coffee, even though it'll probably become your biggest need.

17. Get involved

Rutgers is full of clubs, sports teams, and activities. There's bound to be something you'll want to get involved in! Whether or not you join a club or sport, you can still go to plenty of events or football games for fun! Just get out there and do as much as you can.

18. Make friends

Believe it or not, making friends is pretty important in college. Not only will you meet new people to hang out, but making friends in class will help you in the long run for group study sessions or finding out what you missed during class if you're absent.

19. The freshman 15 is real

Although using your meal swipes is key, you will have a bunch of them and the ice cream bar is always open. All the dining halls are buffet style and the freshman 15 will sneak up on your faster than you know it!

20. Stay. On. Top. Of. Your. Homework.

Although there are football games, clubs, and a whole bunch of goofing off you could be doing, it is important that you stay on top of any homework or readings. Professors expect you to come in prepared, you won't learn anything if you don't keep up with your work, and once you miss one assignment, it becomes harder to keep up with most future assignments. So keep up with your studies and you won't fall behind.