15 Clubs And Organizations At Rutgers Perfect For New Students

15 Clubs To Join At Rutgers University To Get Fit, Make A Difference, Or Learn A New Skill

Sometimes it's a good idea to branch outside your comfort zone and explore something new.

4368
Lauren from Verbal Mayhem up at the mic

So you're ready to join a club at Rutgers. Well, there are over 700 clubs and organizations to choose from! While everyone knows exactly what club they want to join, sometimes it's a good idea to branch outside your comfort zone and explore something new. Even if you are someone who would love the culinary club, maybe you could try the Outdoors Club in your spare time.

While it may not seem something you're not interested in at first, take a look at these 15 popular clubs to get an idea on what club (or clubs) to join!

1. Rutgers Seeing Eye Puppy Raising Club

Do you love hard working doggies? If you answered yes, consider going to the RSEPRC! No prior experience or knowledge is needed to join this club. If you're looking to do more than simply be a member, they will train and teach you all you need to know in order to be a sitter or raiser! Here you can truly make a difference by helping raise a good puppy into a great seeing eye dog!

2. Swing Dance Club

A combination of both sport and club, swing dancing gives you plenty of chances to meet new people while learning something new. Although there is a very small fee, the Swing Dance Club is all-inclusive, no prior knowledge is needed! It doesn't matter if you're a beginner or a pro, stop by on Monday nights to get your swing on.

3. The Rutgers Creative Writing Club

The RCWC is a new club that offers students, no matter major or skill level, a place to simply be creative in both a serious and not-so-serious way. The RCWC is a place where you can get feedback on any of your work, talk to fellow writers, or simply participate in fun writing prompts and games. They meet every week and sharing your work is optional, but always encouraged.

4. Rutgers Quidditch Team

Are you a Harry Potter fan? Have you ever wanted to play a real game of Quidditch? Well, now you can! This competitive intercollegiate sport accepts all players for all positions, no matter past experience! Bring fantasy to life, release the snitch, and join the Rutgers Quidditch Team!

5. Rutgers University Programming Association

RUPA is programming council that serves the Rutgers community, for students by students. Join to gain great programming experience, develop leadership skills, and create diverse programs that appeal to thousands of fellow students. From concerts to comedy shows, Hot Dog Day to the annual homecoming bed races, help organize dozens of events that you too will love and learn some serious skills to help you in the future.

6. SCREAM Theater

"Students Challenging Realities and Educating Against Myths," Scream Theater is a peer theater group that creates educational skits for audiences, especially incoming students, on issues of interpersonal violence, such as sexual assault and bullying. Join to help educate new students and bring awareness to violence prevention.

7. Rutgers Art and Design

Ever wonder who painted the mural on the windows of the Rutgers Cinema? It's RAD! The RAD club is for all who pursue all forms of art and design. Drawing, painting, graphic design, and beyond. RAD is for everyone and gives non-Mason Gross students a chance to truly be creative. They meet on Fridays and offers several unique events throughout the year for anyone to join.

8. Rutgers STEAM

A combination of STEM and the Arts, STEAM encourages different mindsets and thought processes to prepare students for the real world. Between STEM fields and Humanity, drive innovation through projects, discussions, trips, and events to explore a variety of ideas and truly make a difference for yourself and even the community.

9. Verbal Mayhem

Rutgers University's spoken word poetry collective is a lively community at Rutgers with open mics every week for poets, singers, and all other artists to express themselves and their work. Join this diverse and cultural student organization to strength yourself as well as fellow student and neighboring communities.

10. Outdoors Club

Looking for a great way to get involved in a bunch of different trips and activities? The Outdoors Club is super involved throughout the years, generating activities for every season. With biking, kayaking, and much much more, try something you've never done before and make your weekends more relaxing and worth wild.

11. Craft To Cure

Looking to help a good cause? Join the Craft To Cure Club where personally made gifts can go a long way. Community, compassion, and dedication are just some of the values that are important to this club. Weekly crafted items are donated to several different organizations to create a positive outlook while helping the community.

12. Scarlet Cross Medieval Reenactment

Live in the most interesting parts of history through this Medieval Reenactment group! No matter what your passion, there's something for you to do; Singing, dancing, needlework, costuming, metalworking, and more! Experience what it was like the life in the Medieval period in real life.

13. The Apiculture Society

Bees! They're important! This society hopes to spread awareness on just how important they truly are. Join to help slow the loss of honeybees in our areas, get up close and personal with a few local bee boxes, and learn about their effect in our world while also having fun.

14. Cabaret Theater

Since 1975, students have had the opportunity to learn every aspect of the theater. The Cabaret Theater presents four productions throughout the year, both musicals and plays, as well as several events outside the main production. All students are encouraged to get involved through auditions and applications.

15. The Queer Student Alliance of Rutgers University

The second oldest LQBTQIA+ organizations in the United States, the Queer Student Alliance provides a safe space for all students of all walks of life. Meetings are held weekly with workshops, discussions, game nights, movie screenings, and more! Join this community for a warm welcome and to explore the issues fellow students face

Make sure to check out the involvement fair in September!