I Wish I Had Ryan Lochte's Privilege

I Wish I Had Ryan Lochte's Privilege

It's time to address white privilege for what it is.

18
I Wish I Had Ryan Lochte's Privilege
Slate.com

The 2016 Olympics looked bleak all the way up until the opening ceremony on August 5, with the spread of the Zika virus forcing top Olympians to forego participation and near disaster when Rio police went on strike. But the show went on, and after the initial fear of carnage subsided, disaster struck in the form of a robbery.

Ryan Lochte, a 12-time Olympic medalist from the U.S., along with teammates Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and Jimmy Feigen reported being robbed on the morning of August 14. Over the course of the last four days, it's been revealed that not only was the robbery report false but Lochte and his teammates vandalized a Rio gas station bathroom and were captured by surveillance cameras in an altercation with the station's attendants.

While the incident upset many worldwide, it has sparked debate in America, considering the ever-present racial tension. The narrative of "white privilege" has been a constant, with people of color feeling that Caucasians have not only an advantage in everyday life because of the color of their skin, but especially when it comes to the law. As media outlets scrambled to decide whether to scold Lochte or to defend him, IOC spokesman Mario Andrada released a statement that sent many into an uproar.

"No apologies from him or other athletes are needed. We have to understand that these kids came here to have fun. Let's give these kids a break"

At 32, Lochte is far from the definition of a kid, and the diluting of a criminal offense is sickening. Some may say it's because of his status, but I find it hard to believe the USA Basketball team or track stars like Justin Gatlin or Tyson Gay could make the same mistake. You'd be hard pressed to find a black athlete over the age of 18 that committed a crime and was given a reprieve for being a kid.

While NFL players like Richard Sherman and Cam Newton have been called "thugs" for simply showboating on the field, Lochte's criminal actions have been minimized to "frat boy" behavior. NFL quarterback Michael Vick was several years younger than Lochte when his criminal mistake cost him his career and freedom temporarily. While Vick has regained his freedom and reinstatement into the league, he may never be forgiven in the eyes of many. That is why it's befuddling that media outlets like Slate and Yahoo Sports could write pieces asking for forgiveness for Lochte embarrassing the country and himself after just four days. Not only did he commit multiple criminal offenses and lie about it, he did it in another country that is already attempting to paint a better image of themselves.

I took personal offense to Lochte's actions, because I once made a mistake similar to his that still haunts me to this day. I was 21, an immature college student, when I decided to lie to my apartment complex and the police about the whereabouts of the rent to get a few extra days to gather the money. A drastic decision in a hard time nearly cost me my freedom, as I faced a year in prison and hefty fine for lying to the police and obstruction of justice.

A Caucasian friend of mine had committed a similar act, except he managed to lead police on a wild goose chase for an imaginary suspect that cost the police time and money. In return, all he got was a small fine despite having a record. I was not as fortunate, as my lawyer feared that the strict judge would make an example out of me despite being in college with a clean record. Luckily for me, I was able to receive a probation before judgement. Although I was free in the physical, I am constantly reminded of my mistake nearly five years ago every time a potential job runs a background check.

I am grateful to have the opportunity to have my mistake not cost me my life, similar to children like Tamir Rice, who were seen as adults. Or black men and women who lost their freedom and livelihoods because of a "kids" mistake. It is time for America to call a spade a spade, and recognize the plight that we as people of color have been dealt.

As athletes of color dominate the Olympics and continue to win awards for a country that has not shown reciprocity throughout history, one can only wonder the backlash of a crime like this if the shoe was on the other foot.