Do I Really Have To?

Do I Really Have To?

What Getting Your Wisdom Teeth Out Actually Feels Like.

168
Do I Really Have To?
pinterest.com

"Ice cream is a wonderful way to mourn the loss of your wisdom teeth."

"It doesn't hurt that bad!"

"You'll be fine!"

"I didn't swell, so you probably won't either."

Let me be the first to tell you: those are lies. Just recently (like a week ago), I underwent surgery to have my wisdom teeth removed. Being asthmatic, my teeth were taken in a hospital, fully under anesthesia. At only 18 years old, I have never had surgery. That is, until a week ago.

Now, normally I write about uplifting topics and motivational motives. However, I thought I would share my version of the experience mostly everyone has to go through.

The day before. The nerves. The nerves were worse than ever before. I honestly don't think I have been so nervous in my life. I hateneedles with all of my being; the thought of the IV killed me and I was terrified. I had to begin fasting at midnight. So, my parents took me out for a last supper kind of dinner. Being so nervous, I could hardly eat (I even started crying at the dinner table... lame). I tried to do as much as possible to keep my mind occupied so, I decided to go for a swim. After swimming, I stayed up as late as possible, just so the morning would come slower. Finally, around midnight, it was time to for bed.

The morning. 6 a.m. my friends, oh yes. Bright and early for something I didn't want to do. My parents drove me to the hospital and we checked in for surgery (I was already crying... even more lame). I then went back to PreOp, bringing my mom with me. They put me in a room to change into a hospital gown and brush my teeth. After, I laid in my oh-so-uncomfortable hospital bed and did some more waiting.

The nurse came in and it was time for the thing I dreaded most: the IV. The nurse took the hand the IV was to be put in, and another nurse grabbed my other hand and told me to squeeze as hard as I could (I definitely did). I felt a little pinch and it was all over. That was it. All that fussing and stress over a little pinch. The nurses proceeded to secure my IV in place and ask me a series of questions; my first and last name, my date of birth, and medical history.

Finally, after all the questions, more waiting. I decided to watch the TV, as I knew the next step was sedation and then surgery. The anesthesiologist came shortly after, around 9:50 a.m. (my surgery was scheduled for 10:00 a.m.) and put medicine in my IV that relaxed me slightly. My bed was pushed to the Operating Room and I remember it being freezing. The nurse anesthetist and anesthesiologist talked to me and told me what was going to happen. The next thing I saw was an oxygen mask over my mouth/nose and then... black.

After. "...Braedyn...." "..Braedyn...." Groggily, I opened my eyes and looked around me. I was in a room with curtains closed around other little rooms...The Recovery Room. Beep. Beep. Beep.....Yes, good, that is my heartbeat, which means I'm alive. What is all this stuff in my mouth? God, I am so tired. Those were the thoughts that ran through my head.

Now. For the part that I'm sure all of you have been waiting for. I, fortunately, did not say anything dumb. However, sweetly, the first words out of my mouth were: "Can I see my parents?" I genuinely missed my parents and wanted to see them. The nurse couldn't understand what I was saying, understandably. She took my vitals and decided it was time for me to go back to my room. A man wheeled me back to my room that my parents were in (thank God). The man positioned my bed and locked me in place. Both of my parents came to either side of my bed. and I told them I loved them.

As time went on, I started to get more "with it." I just knew one thing for sure: I wanted to go home and sleep. It was time to take my medicine. But. I had to get something into my stomach before I could take it. The nurse brought in a double-barreled orange popsicle, that normally I would enjoy if my tongue wasn't numbed beyond oblivion. Every bite I put in fell right back out; if anything is the Ultimate Struggle, this takes first place.

Finally, when I got enough in my tummy to sustain the pain medicine, I took a drink to take the pill. Never fails because that fell out of my mouth, too. I'll tell you, if it weren't me in this situation, I would have laughed my butt off. But, sadly, it was me and I was definitely not laughing. I finally got the pill in and changed into my clothes, with the much needed help of my mom. It was discharge time. I was so ready, and it was time. My dad brought the car around and I got in and nearly fell asleep.

Recovery. After a week of recovering, I am eating almost normally again (thank God, again). I have been a clean freak for my mouth; rinsing with Peroxyl, diluted Listerine, and gently brushing my teeth after every meal. I finally feel human again and am awaiting a follow-up appointment with my doctor. All in all, it really wasn't that bad. The time after and the recovery period is worse than the surgery itself. Once you get over the third or so day, you're in the clear and on the road to becoming human again.

Bottom Line. If you're getting your wisdom teeth out soon, don't worry. You'll be fine; I got so worked up over nothing. Almost everyone has to go through it, so might as well just jump in and go for the ride.

And remember: clean, clean, clean! And keep up with your pain medicine!