9 Reasons Why Winter Is The Absolute Worst

Winter has come.

197

We are in the dead of winter, with snow on the ground, ice on the streets, and the frigid air nipping at our skin. Of all the four seasons, winter is undoubtedly the worst. It doesn’t bring the beautiful blooming flowers of spring, the endless BBQ evenings in summer or the colorful autumn leaves — instead, it brings gray skies, the death of your social life and a heartbreaking bank account. Here are the reasons why winter is the WORST.

1. Chapped lips

This is the worst feeling ever tbh. Thank GOD for ChapStick.

2. Scraping ice off the windshield

As if the winter morning routine was not painful enough, having to leave an extra 10 minutes early to de-ice your car is a pain. I like to play an extreme sport of driving before the windows are defrosted so that I can get to work on time.

3. Ice

For those of us who weren't gifted with good coordination, winter is essentially our worst enemy. Black ice is like a shady little trickster who's personally out to ruin your day. One time I slipped on ice when I was walking to class, and it was the most embarrassing thing to ever happen to me.

4. The cold

When winter air blows on you, it feels like thousands of tiny knives stabbing you in the face. This may seem pretty obvious, but we often forget what cold is really like until it’s the middle of January and we’re on our way to class, questioning whether or not our toes are entering the early stages of hypothermia. Sorry, Elsa, but the cold does bother me.

5. Flu season

Wash your hands, folks.

6. Treacherous driving conditions

Everyone forgets how to drive the second a snowflake hits the ground.

7. Unflattering clothes

No one looks good in three layers of clothes, a big winter coat, Ugg boots, and hat hair. Literally no one. We all look like a bunch of marshmallows waddling down the street.

8. Shorter days

I hate when it's 4 p.m. but it feels like 10 p.m.

9. Ugly black snow

The snow is pretty when it is gracefully falling from the sky and untouched, but after a day or two, it looks miserable and disgusting to look at.

* * *

Winter isn’t all bad, though. It definitely has its perks, like being cuddled up on the couch drinking hot chocolate and listening to holiday music. But aside from those few moments of relishing the beauty of the season, winter is a relentless beast that comes out of its cave every year just to torment us. Just give me back sun, warmth, and summer. Please.