Winter Activities - East End of Long Island

Need some inspiration?

2060

Winter break is here! Wondering what you are going to do for the next three weeks before heading back to school? If you are a East End, Long Island, native like myself, or if you are just coming to visit family, here are some easy, fun, cheap things to do!

1. Elizabeth A. Morton National Wildlife Refuge - Sag Harbor, NY

Located on the South Fork of Long Island in a town called Sag Harbor lies a hidden treasure, Elizabeth A. Morton National Wildlife Refuge. At this wildlife center you can walk among the many nature trails where you can come across deer, wild turkeys, turtles, chipmunks, squirrels, and an abundance of different birds, along with ponds, marshland, and eventually Peconic Bay.

This place is most famous for the friendly chickadees that love eating out of peoples hands. If you bring birdseed and are lucky you may just make a new friend.

Afterwards stop by downtown Sag Harbor which is about a 10 minute drive for some lunch and window shopping.

2. Greenport, NY

Located at (almost) the end of the North Fork of Long Island, Greenport is a cute, quaint maritime town. There are countless stores to walk in and out of along with some fantastic restaurants and coffee shops.

At Greenport's Michell Park there is a carousel and an outdoor ice rink in the winter time. Both over look Peconic Bay, Shelter Island, and the ferries going back and forth to the island.

3. Parish Art Museum - Watermill, NY

This Parish Art Museum is located on the South Fork of Long Island in a town called Watermill. The entrance fee for this art museum is free for students with a college ID.

This is a nice place to go and spend the afternoon to look at some eye opening art and exhibits. Afterwards stop by downtown Southampton, which is about 7 minutes from the museum, to get some lunch and window shopping.

4. Long Island Aquarium - Riverhead, NY

The Long Island Aquarium is located on the North Fork of Long Island in a town called Riverhead. This one is on the more pricey side with an adult general admission ticket costing $27.95.

This aquarium includes a butterfly, bird exhibit and a bunch of fish exhibits, a sea lion show, penguins, a stingray touch tank, sharks, monkeys, etc.

This day trip is definitely worth checking out!

5. Westhampton Beach, NY

This town is located at the beginning of the South Fork of Long Island. If you are looking for an afternoon of more window shopping and enjoying a nice meal, downtown Westhampton Beach is the place for you. The Westhapton Beach Preforming Arts Center is also located on Main Street if concerts or stand up comedy is more your speed.

Dune Road about 5 minutes away from downtown. There are a couple ocean beaches located on Dune Rd If a winter beach walk strikes your fancy if not I also think its just fun to drive up and Dune Rd. and look at all of the monstrous mansions.

6. Quogue Wildlife Refuge - Quogue, NY

Also, located at the beginning of the South Fork is Quogue Wildlife Refuge. Like the wildlife center in Sag Harbor, Quogue Wildlife is home to countless nature trials. They also house numerous permanently injured animals that cannot be released back into the wild such as, a bald eagle, red fox, and barn owl, etc.

After taking a walk along one of the trials and seeing/learning about the many animals, Quogue Wildlife Refuge also rents out snowshoes and cross county skis to use on the trials when it gets snowy. This will probably be the closest thing anyone will get to skiing on Long Island.

7. Tanger Outlets - Riverhead, NY

Need some much needed retail therapy? Look no further then Tanger Outlets in Riverhead, located on the North Fork of Long Island. This outdoor "mall" has almost every retail store you can think of but with outlet prices.

You are bound to find some great deals!

8. Brunch

Need I say more? Everyone loves brunch. Some tasty bunch stops include Bay Breeze Inn & Bistro, North Fork Biscuit Co., Cutchogue Diner, Lolly's Hut, and Bagel Lovers, just to name a few.

Pictured below is North Fork Biscuit Co.