Winter 2017 Anime Spotlight - "Little Witch Academia (TV)" & "ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept."

This week, we'll look at two freshly-premiered series that seem promising: "Little Witch Academia" and "ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept."!

36
Art from Studio Trigger and Studio Madhouse, Photoshopped together by me.

Hi, everyone! As most of you know, I really love animation. No matter where it's from, I'll gladly sit down and watch it. Since it's my last week of break, I figured that I'd treat myself and and do just that, checking out some of the new series that have begun airing in Japan as part of the 2017 Winter anime season. So far, here are two that have really piqued my interest. So, without further ado, here's what I consider to be two intriguing series this 2017 winter anime season: Studio Trigger's Little Witch Academia and studio Madhouse's ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Department.

Note: For each of these series, there has only been one episode released so far! So, please do keep in mind that my opinions may change as more episodes air.

1. Little Witch Academia (TV)

This one is one of my favorites so far. I fell in love with this Harry Potter-esque series back when the original short film, Little Witch Academia (2013) came out, and as soon as I found out that there was going to be a TV series, I about jumped over the moon with joy! If you want to catch up, the original short movie and its sequel are on Netflix (thanks, Netflix!). The TV series, which is a prequel to those two short films (which is what I'll be highlighting in this article) just began airing in Japan.

This show follows the adventures of a young girl, Atsuko (commonly known by the nickname of "Akko"), who adores a famous performing witch named Shiny Chariot. Inspired by Shiny Chariot's magic shows, she decides to enroll in Terra Nova academy, Chariot's Alma mater, so she can be a witch too! With her roommates Sucy, a quiet (yet devious) young lady with a predilection for poisonous potions, and Lotte, a cheerful brainiac, how will Akko, our optimistic, upbeat, and ditzy protagonist, fare? Can she become a real witch?

Sucy (left), Akko (middle) and Lotte (right) after an adventure. (Source: Tumblr)

This series is precious. One episode in of the TV series, and even then, it's clear that Studio Trigger (the animation studio who produced this series) has put in tons of effort. Considering the franchise was originally made as a chance to give new/young animators on the anime scene a chance to experiment with animation, its style and fluidity is refreshing! The animation feels less anime-esque and more like American cartoons, and the series has a Harry Potter vibe. Also, best of all, it's family-friendly! Taking place in a modern world with magic at its side, and with Japanese and European influences all at once, this series looks like a wonderful, fun, and interesting ride!

Rating: 4/5 Stars

2. ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Department

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Department is a more mature/adult series, about Jean Otus, who is the second-in-command of an Inspection Agency (ACCA, pronounced "AK-KA") that goes from state to state within the kingdom of Dowa, a nation shaped like a bird. Each territory is unique, but still a part of a larger whole, operated under a monarch, who happens to be turning 99.

Things have been peaceful as of late, although the nation had once been bathed in chaos, which had been the reason for the department's founding. Because of this change in the times, the Territory Inspection Department's usefulness has been challenged, and they have been threatened with termination as a department. Meanwhile, a string of arson attacks is breaking up the peace, and Jean feels as if he's being watched. Are these things related? And, is something sinister afoot?

This one gave me a great impression so far. My recommendation is to pause each time there's tons of text, as this series has walls of it. The opening is awesome, the ending theme is sublime, the art style is funky, the animation is fluid, and it has a mature vibe that fans of police/crime dramas will love. It's sleek, intriguing, and off to a good start. I'm walking in blind, but I think this series will definitely be a dark horse this season. Overall, based on episode one alone, I'd recommend ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Department. Watch it on Crunchyroll here.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

I can't wait to see how these series pan out. These series may be polar opposites in terms of tone, presentation, intended audience, and even in art style. But, they both deserve some love. In these two, there's something for everyone! Anime fan or not, give these series a try. Maybe you'll find a new favorite show. Still, believe me, no matter which one you end up watching, you won't regret it.