The Wind Farm Delimma

The Wind Farm Delimma

A look into the possible wind farm project in the Penn Forest Township.

21
The Wind Farm Delimma
photo by ABC

The Wind Farm Dilemma.

Hunter Gibson

In Penn Forest Township, Pennsylvania, there is currently an ongoing argument concerning whether or not Iberdrola Renewables, a renewable energy company should be granted permission to construct a wind farm on 292 acres of property in Penn Forest Township, owned by the Bethlehem Water Authority and the Lehighton Water Authority. Iberdrola Renewables is seeking to erect forty total wind turbines; thirty-seven on land owned by the Bethlehem Water Authority, and three turbines on Lehighton Water Authorities land.

Penn Forest Township residents have been in an uproar over the controversial topic. Many residents have been strongly protesting the idea of the wind farm ever since the plan was proposed.

Pennsylvania State Representative Doyle Heffley had this to say on the matter:

“As a lifelong resident of Carbon County, I am opposed to the possibility of wind turbines tarnishing our beautiful landscape. I understand the need for alternative energy, but building 40 windmills along our horizon, nestled within the tourism-dependent Pocono region, is not the answer.”

So, why does everybody seem to be up in arms over the thought of renewable energy coming to our area? What are the pros and cons of the subject? How can a wind farm in Penn Forest Township be a good thing; and how can it have negative effects?

The Negative...

Wildlife Effects

The land in question is home to many varieties of wildlife native to the Northeast Pennsylvania region. This includes white-tailed deer, black bear, red fox, gray squirrel, and a plethora of other mammalian, reptilian, and avian species of animals. These creatures would be forced to move and find somewhere else to live and possibly die by way of vehicle contact, deforestation, malnutrition, and numerous other hazards.

According to www.savetheeaglesinternational.org; an organization dedicated to saving the lives of Bald Eagles and other avian species, Spain’s 18,000 wind turbines have killed about 18 million combined birds and bats yearly. A government study claims that wind farms in the United States will kill about 1.4 million bats and bird by the year 2030.

Like a Sore Thumb

The average industrial wind turbine is sized at 256 feet high; to put that into perspective, they’re almost 100 feet taller then the Statue of Liberty. The blade span of a wind turbine reaches over three football fields long. The turbines would constantly loom over houses of citizens in the area. Some residents say they would be an eyesore and drop property values in areas where the wind farm is visible.

The Positive...

Fresh and Clean

The biggest benefits to wind energy are that it is renewable and also a source of clean fuel. Energy harnessed by the wind can be used again and again, unlike its fossil fuel counterpart, which is once and done.

Fossil fuels also emit harmful carbon dioxide, hurting the environment, wildlife, and us. Over the last 150 years, carbon dioxide levels in the air have increased twenty-five percent from fossil fuels alone. Alternative energy, such as wind energy, emits no harsh gasses affecting the wildlife, or the air we breathe.

Job Creation

In 2014,the alternative energy companies spent more than $8 billion of private capital in the U.S. economy to build projects and employed more than 73,000 workers. According to studies done by the Wind Vision Report, wind has the potential to support more than 600,000 jobs in manufacturing, installation, maintenance, and supporting services by 2050.

Sustainability

Wind energy is actually a form of solar energy. The sun heating the air above the land causes it to raise higher in the atmosphere, while the heavier and cooler air above water rushes to take the place of the previously above the land. This creates wind. So as long as sun keeps heating the Earth and its air, there will still be wind and therefore, wind energy.

So, what do you think? Should a wind farm be constructed in Penn Forest Township? If you do, let me know! If you don’t, still let me know! I’d love to hear your opinions. As always, thanks so much for reading! It means a lot to me when people take the time out of their day to read what I wrote.