A Contemporary Man: William Petit

A Contemporary Man: William Petit

"I’m a traveling nomad artist, enjoying life and work through meeting and sharing."

41
A Contemporary Man: William Petit
Rocio Cruz-Garcia

William is a dear family friend who visits from France almost every year. He is a contemporary dancer with a beautiful soul and striking talent. I decided to ask him a few questions about his artistic process and passion.

Tell me about yourself:

"I try to pass through life enjoying all of its perspectives, opportunities, and moments...even the strongly hard moments. Sharing visions and emotions allows me to be free, as 'ser humano' connected to others."

What do you do?

"I am a traveling nomad artist, enjoying life and work through meeting and sharing."

Why did you gravitate towards contemporary dance?

"I enjoyed dance since I was a kid, and still do. I had the opportunity to discover contemporary dance in my home town Toulon, through the activities at the Chateauvallon Art Center.

When I was 14, I went to a performance led by a French choreographer named Dominique Bagouet. I was just amazed by what I saw, by the way dancers were actually involved.

At the same time, I was attending a workshop initiated by Dominique Bagouet. I was shocked because the day after I watched his performance, he talked to me asking if I would like to join the Cie as an apprentice. I was literally shaking inside!

However, my parents did not allow me to join the Cie at that moment. This made the idea of being a dancer real. After that, my interest in contemporary dance grew and grew."

What brings you to California/Mexico?

"I created a group called Fabrik Nomade. This group came to life in an art residency in the Jean Houdremont theater of La Courneuve city, a northeast suburb of Paris.

There, I met a plastic artist coming from Texas, Monte Laster. He was primarily involved in researching borders.

Through this residency, with more than 15 artists coming from different parts of Europe, we were able to unite our borders, and create art.

So I decided to focus on an art nomad project involving the crossing border as a purpose of research and art. Also as a medium to develop an artistic network. I chose Tijuana/San Diego as a basis, in connection with the information I received from Monte Laster.

I was given a grant in 2010, from the ministry of foreign affairs - Cultures Hors Les Murs, to sustain the process which is still in motion.

Through time, the connections with friends, family, artists, and people were so strong that the dynamic did not stop. As well as the art materials (visual, sound, photography, space…) that take part in my creations, are deeply connected to the Southern California area, Mexican/American in many ways."

Describe your artistic process in 3 words:

"Nomad meeting - Time - Cross - Dream"

Where did you grow up and how did that affect your inclination to dance?

"I grew up in Toulon, near the Mediterranean sea, and fortunately there were many associations dedicated to dance, as well as a strong and big Art Center called Chateauvallon.

It also affected me in the sense that I am a very mediterranean guy: body, motion, touch, flesh, perceptions/statements. I am very involved in cultural and social issues because of this."

If you could dance to one sound or song for the rest of your life, what would it be?

"There are a few. 'Wild is the wind' by Billie Holiday, Rosine Feferman and her double bass, or maybe Pom Bouvier B. and Floy Krouchi who are electroacoustic composers (you can listen to them on soundcloud)."

What is your favorite aspect of Mexico?

"The space, pacific ocean, strong friendships, the fact that it is still in motion in its development, more specifically west north (Baja California). I also appreciate the liberty of action,and the notion of being who you wish to be."

What is your favorite aspect of Europe?

"The way northern countries such as Finland, are involved in democratic development, using art and culture as part of life itself."

What makes you smile the most?

" Happy people, waves, Evita Luz….all of my friends!"

Who is your greatest inspiration?

"Dominique Mercy - dancer of Pina Bausch Cie"

How can dance change the world?

"Involving body as a matter of interconnection, interaction, perception, and motion. It is so incredible to see the many possibilities of writing processes as visions. Dance is a beautiful dynamic of traveling, meeting, sharing and being."

If you were not a dancer, what would your profession be?

"Maybe a chef, somehow a profession which involves sharing, and 'convivenza'."

If you could perform with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?

"I’m really happy as I already performed with the artists I wished to, and even if some dead artists impressed/impress me or gave/give me strength, I am more deeply involved in the present and lively art."

What is your favorite project that you have worked on so far?

"Many. I have worked so hard on projects to change purposes, proposals, ways of entering processes, how it involves artists and audiences. I love the combination of those differences."

Merci beaucoup, William!