Will History Repeat Itself?

Will History Repeat Itself?

Darkness can't drive out darkness.

11
Will History Repeat Itself?
Beyond Foreigness

Just as most American citizens will know, the year 2016 has served up many unfortunate events. These events include a series of mass shootings that have occurred from the East Coast to the West Coast of the United States. Not only have these tragedies caused heartbreak to many of those who have lost their loved ones, but these situations have now become much more problematic when it comes to debates and politics. Initially people feared laws regarding concealed weapons in the United States that are intended for lawful purposes, but it has escalated way beyond that.

Since Donald Trump has been running in the presidential election, there has also been a more evident division in the country because of his influence on the people. He feels very strongly about his many opinions, and many argue he is just stating how he feels. Although there does come a point where being politically correct should be taken into consideration, because what he says will influence his supporters who may try to take actions into their own hands. Whether his intentions are to provoke others to act out against races and religions or not, this fuel is being added to a fire that is creating more colossal problems in the United States. Also, the acts of terrorism that have taken place the past few years do not ease that fire that is reoccurring in the United States.

In the past few months there have been multiple shootings including the Orlando shooting, the shooting of Alton Sterling, the shooting of Philando Castile, the shooting of police officers in Dallas, Texas (five killed and seven wounded), and many more terrible losses.

So as citizens we are aware of this ongoing controversy and that it has to do with race, religion, and immigration, but as citizens, what is there that we can do?

I would have never thought that my country would experience these kinds of unfortunate circumstances. Many Americans are feeling all sorts of emotions like myself, including rage, devastation and many more. It is understandable to feel that what is happening in this country should not be happening and many Americans like myself are flabbergasted. It is also understandable there should be measures taken in reducing police brutality and more actions should be taken when regulating gun laws. Many also feel that much of what is happening in this country is regarding racism. Nonetheless, I give my condolences to those who have lost their families and friends.

It is time to come together as one country united and put aside our differences because after all, we all have one thing in common. We are all American. We are all human and we all feel the anger that others are feeling. At this time I think it is important that we do not install more fear in our children and neighbors, but that we learn to love one another unconditionally. By doing this we can hopefully influence others to have the same perspective and prevent more violence . Also, by doing so we can help mend the pain that others are going through, which we may be going through as well.

Martin Luther King Jr. once said, "Darkness can't drive out darkness; only light can do that." I believe one day we will be able to drive ourselves out of this darkness.