Why Do I Write?

Why Do I Write?

Reflecting on how much writing has given to me.

3
Why Do I Write?
Linda Nogueras Ortiz

Why do I write? I keep asking myself this question whenever writer's block decides to frustrate me to no end. I ask myself this question when nothing I write seems like a good job. I try to figure a logical answer but there isn't just one. There are many reasons why I write, whether it is required for academic purposes or for pure fun, writing is an art that I am lucky to say I try to work with to make the best job I possibly can with it.

I write because I am alive. Being alive, I experience emotions and situations and, sometimes, these inspire me to lay it all down on paper. I write because I love. Not only loving my family and friends, but loving the writing itself is something that keeps me trying harder every time. I write because it's my way of venting: believe it or not, some things anger me and the only positive way I can deal with negative feelings is to write.

I write because I was given a gift to express, inspire, change mindsets with just a few written and well collected words. I am able to make others feel what I feel, or at least imagine it.

I can't see myself as somebody who doesn't write, whether it's for academic purposes, for fun or as a coping mechanism writing is a part of me I don't want to give up on. The feeling when the ink flows from the pen to the paper or when the word count on my computer strikes the minimum of words needed is something I can't fully describe as anything else but bliss.

I hope I am able to write for the rest of my life. I hope I am able to reach out to many who find a home within my writing. This is why I write.