Why You'll Fall For Rainbow Rowell

Why You'll Fall For Rainbow Rowell

An author with writing as color and masterful as her name would suggest.

12
WHSmith Blog

From the hardcore bookworms to the relaxed reader who gets overjoyed at the idea of finding a new writer to fall in love with, Rainbow Rowell is sure to become a new favorite.

Rowell burst onto the publishing scene five years ago and has written five young adult books. One of her greatest attributes about her writing is that she strays from writing predictable plot-lines. Having read three of her books, I can say that while she wants to give her characters a happy ending, she definitely stays honest and realistic without writing a deux ex machina resolution or unnecessarily torturing her characters in order to be more original.

Perhaps the greatest thing about this modern writer is that she realizes she's writing for a modern audience and does exactly that. She also acknowledges that she is writing for a blended society, as well as for people who identify with different sexual orientations. While it may not seem like a big deal to some, it is a huge step forward for many who have grown up without finding literary characters that they feel represented by. In her latest book, "Carry On," Rowell has her characters question their sexuality but it doesn't become the driving plot of the story. Instead, it's treated the same as heterosexual characters who are trying to figure out their relationships with one another and how to deal with the situation in which they find themselves.

Whether Rowell uses realism or decorates her prose with magical elements, she has a natural pace and build-up in the construction of her worlds, which is part of what makes her storytelling so great.

She doesn't create characters who are perfect human beings. She writes about people that her audience can identify with and have a genuine connection to. Which is ultimately one of the biggest things of importance for avid readers. Rowell has her characters grow and ultimately has a knack for creating and developing interaction and plot.

The next time you have a free day and are thinking about starting a new book, sit back and relax with a Rowell novel.