Why You Should Step Outside Of Your Comfort Zone Every Now And Then

New things can be surprising.

9

Today I got to do something totally different from my normal every day life. I got to take a step out of my norm, and be someone else for a few hours.

I got to experience Otakon for the very first time. For those who have no idea what that is, it's a festival for anime. Fans from all over were flowing in and out of the doors of the Baltimore convention center decked out, head to toe in their favorite characters clothes. Video game experts, Japanese art fanatics, and then there was me, dressed as a "fairy" just trying to soak it all in. (and tried not to stare too much) Dont get me wrong, I do like my fair share of anime, I'm a Pokémon girl from the get-go as well as a fan of sailor moon, and of course video games like animal crossing and Mario, I mean lets be real, what 90's kid didn't play super smash?!

Otakon was all that, and more on steroids. My eyes bouncing from wall to wall with character fanatics everywhere. I couldn't help but stare, I saw some familiar faces like some Disney characters and a few Pokemon. Other than that, I had absolutely no clue what or who I was looking at but it was just amazing. Not just seeing other people in their element, but my youngest sister in her element too. My youngest sister is who brought me to this amazing "haven" if you will. Where people could come and be who ever they wanted, for three days. To escape every day life, and the heat to become whatever they wanted to be. Some bought a three day, or a two day pass coming as different characters each day, and if you could see how much detail were in some of these costumes! I couldn't even believe some of them. Swords bigger than my entire body, make up covered bodies, wigs, extensive detail, down to the type of socks. If you didn't come dressed as something to this place, you were the one who stuck out. Not the other way around.

Even though I was about 45 minutes from home, It felt like I took a day vacation to another planet. The most low key, non judgemental planet id ever visited. These days people are so set, organized in their little groups and won't try anything new because that's not what their friends do, or it's not "cool." Well I'm telling all of you who are that way you are really missing out. Sometimes it's a nice break to just do something different for a change, and try something new. Open up your horizons and you never know what you might unlock. You might learn something new, make new friends, or just have fun trying something out side of your box. I know for sure I will be going again next year. It was an experience I will never ever forget.

I learned something from that experience, that I really could be whatever I wanted to be, and I shouldn't care what other people think about me, or what I like. It was an amazing change of pace for me, and I cant wait for the chance to go next year.