Why Do You Care What I Wear to Class?

Why Do You Care What I Wear to Class?

College is for learning, not a fashion show.

788
Why Do You Care What I Wear to Class?

I've read several articles from other Odyssey writers, where they criticize others' choices of clothing for attending class. One writer claimed to dress in "leggings and XL sweatshirts" makes one look lazy, while another adopted a "holier-than-thou" tone as she claimed Nike shorts and leggings are for the gym only.

What amazes me is the sheer audacity of people to be so judgmental of others' clothing choices purely based on personal beliefs and entirely inaccurate, widely untrue stereotypes.

When did college become a fashion show?

I'm not going to lie and claim "no one actually cares what you wear to class!" These people clearly show that some do, and I'd be lying if I said I never noticed what my classmates wear. However, I admire what some girls wear and mentally applaud the girls who feel comfortable and confident enough to rock sweatpants to class because I personally don't. Most people won't care or judge.

I understand why people would feel it's important to dress nicely for class. You want to show your professors you care other than just doing your work and showing up, you feel better when you're dressed nicely, and so on. And that's great! Good for everyone who feels and acts this way.

I also get that it's not a feeling among all nice dressers that others should too. However, for those who do feel that way, I have two questions:

How does what someone else wears to class affect your level of education?

How does someone else's decision to wear "sloppy clothing" affect your learning?

The answer to both is, it shouldn't. And if that does, that's a personal problem you need to take a closer look at.

You're allowed personal beliefs and thoughts, but they are just that: personal beliefs. Those beliefs are not the rule, and not everybody has to follow them.

Some people feel just as comfortable, confident, and "on" in leggings, a sweatshirt or oversized shirt, and sneakers as you do in your nice clothes. They focus just as well as you do, get their work done the same, and all that good stuff.

For you to assume that people who dress less nicely, in your eyes, are lazy and don't care is just wrong. Not everyone has the time to dress up for classes. Some people have early classes and would rather be comfortable at their ungodly 8 a.m.s. Others have back-to-back classes for hours at a time and find a sweatshirt and leggings as the easiest to move around in. And some people go right from classes to work (or vice versa) and need quick-change clothes.

And of course, some people just don't care. Those "sloppy gym clothes" are how they express their style, how they feel comfortable and confident, so who are you to take that away from them?

What someone wears to class is their choice in their choice only. It is unfair and unkind to judge others and make them feel bad for wearing clothes they feel comfortable and happy in. We live in a world where there is enough hate, so why add more to it?

And as a side note: unless they've stated otherwise (and unless it's major-specific, they won't), your professors honestly could not give two shits about what you wear to class. As long as you show up, pay attention, and do good work, they're happy. They have too much of their own stuff to deal with and too many students to care.

So to the girls who so rudely criticize and shame other girls this way? Kindly shut up.