Why We Should Stop Saying The Phrase "I'm Fine"

We all know it's a lie, so why do we keep saying it anyway like maybe this time, we'll believe it?

4539

A lot of people who know me have already seen this poem I wrote, but I'm going to share it anyway before I even start this article:

To this day I hate that phrase: "I'm fine." I hope we weren't the only ones who used the phrase like it could actually encompass our feelings. Just be honest. If you're going good, say that. If you feel like shit, SAY THAT.

Google defines the word fine as "in a satisfactory or pleasing manner; very well." Do you believe that? So when you say "I'm fine" to someone, it doesn't mean "I guess I'm okay" - it means I'm doing great! I'm doing very well! We all know that's not what we really mean, though.

I've never heard someone in my life say "I'm fine" and have it mean something positive. Because if you're feeling good, you don't use "fine" to encompass your emotions. There are better words. I'm fantastic, fabulous, awesome, doing great - who picks "fine"? So when you say it, you don't really mean it.

You mean "leave me alone."

You mean "I'm not doing so great, but I'm gonna pretend I'm okay so you don't ask me anymore questions."

The phrase itself can really mean only one thing - I'm NOT fine.

So let's stop kidding ourselves. Let's stop pissing off our friends by lying about how we're feeling with a phrase that literally everyone knows doesn't mean that you're okay.

Let's start saying what's really in our heads; let's start admitting that we're not okay, we're not fine, damn it, and we need help sometimes. When you're angry, admit you're angry; when you're upset, tell someone. And when you are just not fine, please, don't say that you are. Don't lie.

It's okay to not be okay. But if you don't tell someone you're not okay, you'll stay that way, and that's no way to live life.