Why Watching Netflix's 'Stranger Things' Should Be Next On Your To-Do List.

This summer you're in for some really strange things

14
res.cloudinary.com

For a while now, the Netflix production model has proven itself to be one of the most effective, diversified and organic ways to produce web series. Netflix has become so much more of a cultural staple than just "Netflix and Chill" by producing their own original series, not relying on ads, releasing entire seasons at once, its cost-benefit ratio; but mostly due to the variety of streaming options they offer. Because they can afford to keep trying until they hit the spot, the original series category offers a variety that ranges from "House of Cards" to "Marco Polo," "Orange is the New Black" to Marvel thrillers and so much more - yet that's what makes their productions so quintessential - its accepting and allowing failure to happen and then releasing absolutely fantastic hits.

Perhaps one of the best examples of such quintessential productions and this summer's most highly acclaimed series, Netflix's "Stranger Things" is a phenomenal adventure that takes you through a thrilling storyline that perfectly combines style and substance. With juicy Steven King-esque cliffhangers that will allow the show to consume your entire weekend, a refreshingly sharp, weird and lovable cast (monsters and evil scientists aside), a unique aesthetic that perfectly portrays life in a small, Indiana town in 1983, and mysteries that'll leave any sci-fi enthusiast on their toes, "Stranger Things" is you next binge-watching worthy addiction. The best way I've found to describe the series is that it is somehow a perfectly calibrated smorgasbord of "E.T" (virtually any and all things Spielberg), "X-Files," "Twin Peaks" and Steven King.

The story follows the life of residents of Hawkins, Indiana after a young boy goes missing in the middle of the night. Along with the rumored kidnapping that becomes the talk of the town, eerie and creepy things begin to happen, sparking the interest of the group of young, self-proclaimed nerds who just happen to be best friends with the missing kid, Will. While the series isn't exactly centered around one character specifically, it is safe to say that the boys Dustin (Gaten Matarazzo), Lucas (Caleb McLaughlin), and Mike (Finn Wolfhard) steal the show from the moment their first scene comes up, where a Dungeons and Dragons game foreshadows what's to come and establishes a delectable cultural reference point.

Winona Rider stars as the distressed single mother Joyce Byres who struggles with losing her youngest child while simultaneously being labeled as crazy for her erratic behavior as supernatural events being to take place in her house. Rider's character really stands out as a fantastic female lead (along with other bad-ass women) and all-around great mom who is willing to do anything for her children, while also breaking gender norms, something that other shows with similar storylines haven't necessarily done.

The only other person who truly shares Joyce's pain of Will's disappearance is Jonathan, the eldest of the Byres brothers. With the help of Nancy Wheeler (Natalia Dyer), who happens to be Mike's older sister, both teenagers become crucial to the plot of the show and unexpectedly turn into fully-rounded characters.

Compelling characters aside, the show's allure is also composed by its enthralling and raw soundtrack, a true testament to 80's grungy, synth-y rock. Coupled with a darker and ominous musical influence, the show's cinematography might just be the fundamental trademark of the Duffer Brothers, who's work history prior to "Stranger Things" was composed of probably just one episode of "Wayward Pines." What makes the show so timelessly relatable is the true set up of an 80's mystery sci-fi along with modern filmmaking luxuries as well a progressive and well-written character base.

However, despite my attempt at explaining this show to you, nothing I say could ever fully describe the nuances of the show and transpire my true enthrallment with it; you'll just have to watch it. The show has gain such a high approval rating as one of the fastest Netflix series to gain a five-star rating that it comes to no surprise that they're already set for at least another two or three seasons - and it also helps that they got A+++ reviews from noteworthy figures such as Stephen King and Guillermo del Toro.

There is so much more to the plot that me giving away any more spoilers would be taking away the fun and would ruin your experience of sitting on the edge of your seat. The plot beautifully unfolds into something you fell like you've seen before yet keeps you intrigued because it's also not at all anything you've experienced before.

P.S: Absolutely don't miss the soundtrack though, you can listen to the series' mixtape in this amazing Rolling Stone article.