Don't Wait For Valentine's Day To Show Someone You Care

But regardless, let someone know you love them.

144

February 14th. What makes it any different than February 13th or even February 15th? That’s right, Valentine’s Day. Ah, Valentine’s Day. The day that singles around the world dread for months and months. The day where everything is pink or red and you’re surrounded by couples holding hands or going on fancy dinner dates. But in all honesty, isn’t it just like any other day? Just because some old white guy thousands of years ago decided to declare it as a day of love, everyone believes that your relationship status on this day determines your worth, or that February 14th is the most important day to show your love to someone.

Now, I’m not saying that we should totally disregard Valentine’s Day; it’s a tradition and there’s something to appreciate about that. I think it’s important we still recognize the love in the air and buy each other chocolates. But I’m proposing that we change the way we look at the mid-February day. I’m saying that if you’re single, don’t hate it. Valentine’s Day is supposed to be all about love, so let the who matter the most in your life know that they matter. Give your mom a call and thank her for always buying you a little box of chocolates when you were little. Or get your closest group of friends together and remind each other of how grateful you are to have one another. Treat yourself. I mean, you’ve always stuck by your own side every Valentine’s Day right? Show a little appreciation. But don’t just do it on February 14th. Do it every day.

And if you’re in a relationship? Of course, go out for a nice dinner or send flowers across the country. Have that three-hour facetime call because you’re 900 miles apart. But remember that Valentine’s Day shouldn’t be the only day of the year you show your significant other that you love and appreciate them. This day isn’t the only day of the year you can send chocolates or put on some fancy lingerie. It shouldn’t be a once-a-year, special occasion thing. You should spontaneously take your boyfriend or girlfriend out on a nice dinner date. You should Facetime while you’re cleaning your room or playing FIFA. It’s the little things that add up throughout the rest of your time together, no matter the distance, no matter the time of year.

Like I said, I love the tradition behind Valentine’s Day. But I’m a big believer in showing a little love no matter what day it is. And maybe, if we did do that, Valentine’s would seem just like any other day and singles can stop dreading it and couples won’t feel as much pressure. But regardless, let someone know you love them.