Why 'The Voice' Is Better Than 'American Idol'

One ran dry of talent in 2011 while the other took center stage.

138
The Wrap

As well all know and probably don't really care about, "American Idol" is coming to a close with the premiere of its final season on Monday, January 6. People all over the internet are reminiscing over past winners, past favorites and past performances. I used to be an "Idol" fan back when it was actually good, around the time Haley Reinhart was slaying iconic hit after hit in 2011. Now, I don't even care that it's on but I am sentimental of my own past favorites, so I took the time to look through some articles and listen to videos of people who are supposed to be amazing. However, I found myself repeatedly not impressed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no professional music critic, but there is something about the old "Idol" performances that just makes them seem lackluster. Of course, my favorites (Haley Reinhart) have special places in my heart, but looking at performances by Carrie Underwood, Phillip Phillips and even my dream girl Jennifer Hudson, there is nothing particularly outstanding about the way they performed on the show. They are all successful now, some of the biggest names in the business, but I don't think the show really did their talents any justice. The performances were all abruptly short; I felt like they were over as soon as they started. Their outfits and hair stylings were absolutely atrocious (maybe that was the fault of the early 2000s fashion, but it definitely should have improved over time and it didn't). Look at Underwood's performance of Heart's "Alone," ranked as the #2 "Idol" performance ever by Buzzfeed.

First of all, you can't even hear her in the beginning. Secondly, there was approximately 84 seconds between her first note and her last, definitely not enough time to let her shine in the performance. She barely did any runs or variations from the original! And I can't even begin to try and understand that hair. I don't think she sounds bad but I also don't think she sounds out-of-this-world. There's too much not clicking in this performance for me to be enthralled with it. What I'm wondering is, how can ANYONE consider this performance captivating enough for it to be considered the second best "Idol" performance of all time? Carrie Underwood is an amazing artist but I just can't say that Idol did enough for me to keep me coming back for more.

In writing all of this, I realize my strong opinion over the quality of "Idol" performances exists because I am spoiled by the unending flow of extraordinary performances that come from NBC's "The Voice." The show currently has 9 seasons but each feels fresh and new in both presentation and talent. The performances are unique and thought-out from auditions to the finale and there are four superstar coaches who actually have interesting and constructive things to say to the striving artists. I started watching "The Voice" from season one in 2011 when Javier Colon dominated the competition; he was all it took for me to get hooked. Listen to his rendition of Sarah Mclachlan's "Angel."

This video isn't even good quality and I am still absolutely captivated. His emotion, the setting and, most importantly, his voice all come together to make an ethereal experience for the viewers. His performance lasts significantly longer than 84 seconds and we're given enough time to be drawn into the music. I think "The Voice" is a fantastic show in the world of singing competitions because I know that, when I watch, I'm always going to have at least three moments when I'm left with my mouth hanging open at the end of someone's performance.

Even though I pounded pretty hard on "Idol," I'm not saying it's the worst show in the world. I'm just saying that "The Voice" is better. Here's my list of Top 10 "Voice" performances to back up that statement:

10. "Stay" Ft. India Carney and Clinton Washington

Battle rounds are my favorite because they produce unbelievable duets like this.

9. "A Case Of You" Ft. James Wolpert

Not the biggest vocal but what a take on a Joni Mitchell classic. His voice is so unique. I listen to this version daily.

8. "Wrecking Ball" ft. Christina Grimme

This is the best audition so far on the show, IMO.

7. "Stupid Boy" ft. Cassadee Pope

Pop punk princess from the band Hey Monday turns country in this stellar performance of Keith Urban's "Stupid Boy." Now look where Season 3's winner is: she's busy making claims all over the country charts.

6. "Because We Believe" Ft. Chris Mann

I tried not putting this one on here because of the video quality but I was crying by the end of it, so I had to.

5. "Oh Mary Don't You Weep" Ft. Koryn Hawthorne

She brings me to a different world every time she sings.

4. "Message in a Bottle" Ft. Deborah and Nelly's Echo

Deborah literally destroys this song. She's an inspiration.

3. "The Blower's Daughter" Ft. Matt McAndrew

His victory was STOLEN by Craig Wayne Boyd in Season 7. Matt is literally amazing. His voice makes every song sound unique and I have all of his performances downloaded on itunes.

2. "I Put A Spell On You" Ft. Jacquie Lee

Jacquie Lee was 16 years old when she sang this. Could you do this at 16?

1. "Somebody To Love" Ft. Jordan Smith

Jordan Smith, season nine's recent winner, is a master of all trades. He can do runs, he has emotions and he can put on one damn amazing performance. He's extremely deserving of the title, especially with this passionate tribute to Queen.