Why The Past Should Stay The Past

Why The Past Should Stay The Past

Don't stumble over something behind you.

2122
Why The Past Should Stay The Past
Halee Price

So many of us dwell on the past and don't let things go even after they're long gone. We let things and people tear us down over and over because we are scared to lose them. But, what are we really losing?

If we would learn to let go of the things and people that no longer benefit us, there is no telling how better off we would be. There comes a time in life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore, and who always will. Not everyone you come in contact with is meant to stay in your life forever. Some are only here for a season, so don't confuse seasonal people with lifetime expectations because you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Don't worry about people from your past because there is a reason they didn't make it to your future.

Our past has a way of destroying our future. Live for today and what tomorrow has to offer because living in the past will get you no where. The past is the past for a reason. Get over the bad things that happened. It's gone. People change. People leave while the memories remain, but it's time to move on. The person who broke you can't be the one to fix you. No matter the extent of the relationship/friendship it can be hard to let them walk out of your life, but I can guarantee you that when you look back, you will be so thankful you did.

Don't just walk away from it, put it out of you mind completely. Bringing up the past doesn't change anything. Talking about something that happened in the past doesn't change anything. Comparing current and future people and things to the past doesn't change anything. All it does is bring up bad memories and holds you back from new, better experiences because you're too hung up on that one bad memory or that one person from your past. If your past is holding you back then it is not good for you and it is not contributing to your life in a positive manner so you need to stop carrying it with you.

Don't stumble over something behind you. We have this tendency to go back to people from our past because it's comfortable and safe, but we just go through the same cycle over and over again. Like the song, "First Time" by Kelsea Ballerini sayds, "that's why the past should be the past, far behind, back of mind, out of the way. Let the memories burn and crash...that's why goodbye should mean goodbye the first time." There has to be a breaking point. Whether it's a relationship or a friendship: if it's toxic, let it go. Never regret anything. You can't change it and it can't be undone or forgotten. Learn from those moments and move on.

At the end of the day, the only people we can guarantee to have us is ourselves and God. That's really all anyone needs. So, the next time someone wants to walk out of your life, let them. They probably weren't meant to be without 'til the end. Trust your gut and trust God's plan for your life.