Why The First Week Is The Worst Week

Why The First Week Is The Worst Week

College is hard, but it is especially harder the first week of the semester.

548
Why The First Week Is The Worst Week
UNR Website

For those of you in college, you've probably just experienced your first week or two of this new semester. Congratulations! you have entered a new year and made it this far already! I am here to tell you that the first few weeks of college are the absolute worst! There's so many things happening and so many people bustling about, it gets incredibly rough really quickly. Fortunately, not every week will be as crazy as the first two, but here are a few reasons why the first week of college can be so ridiculously annoying!

1. There are SO many people

Whether you are a freshman or a senior, it is honestly pretty intimidating how many people are on campus during the first week of school. Most students are just showing up until they find out their classes don't have mandatory attendance, then they'll stop going and it will all be good again. Until then, we all have to put up with the unbearably long lines and taking 20 minutes to walk to class.

2. No parking

With a ton of people comes a ton of filled parking spaces. I am so incredibly grateful that I paid $300 to park close to campus just to have to park 20 minutes away and take the shuttle to class. Once again, hopefully this dies down after a few more days.

3. Textbooks

Nothing will turn your week to trash more than having to drop hundreds of dollars on books that you will probably use a max of ten times throughout the entire semester.

4. Your meal plan goes to crap

The summer body you worked on for the last three months? that was all for nothing after the first week of college You're either going out to eat to catch up with old friends, or you're stressed and forgot to pack a lunch so you had to stop somewhere on campus and buy food. Whatever the reason is, it's just known that the first few weeks of college require serious strength to eat healthy!

5. The pushy Greeks

via">http://giphy.com/gifs/alabama-sorority-2vROrSF7Y8l... GIPHY

If your campus is anything like my campus, the fraternities and sororities are EVERYWHERE. Some of my closest friends are in a sorority, but my goodness, I can't even walk to the library without someone telling me to rush Greek life,

6. Are you registered to vote?

I'm not sure how it works at other campuses, but at my campus you can't walk ten feet without someone asking if you're registered to vote or if you want to update your voting cards. In the patriotic words of my dear friend Katie, "I'm a goddamn American, of course I'm registered to vote!!" Seriously though, if you aren't registered, then do it.

7. Professors who actually teach on syllabus day

Woah bro, what's the rush? They have all semester to make our lives hell and they decide they can't even give us one day of easy-going schooling.

8. Syllabus quizzes

The only thing worse than having a professor who teaches on syllabus day is having a professor who makes you take a quiz on the syllabus. Even if I take the quiz, I bet you I'm still not going to acknowledge the existence of the syllabus ever again.

9. Not knowing anyone in any of your classes

As if having 20,000 people sharing a campus with you wasn't intimidating enough, sitting in a class full of strangers and being told you will have a group project during the semester is even worse. Luckily making friends in college is super easy and you will know the names of several people by the end of the month!

10. Not knowing what to wear

It's the end of summer meaning that the weather is in that awkward phase where it's cold in the morning and scalding hot in the afternoon. Do you were a jacket and risk having to carry it around all day or just tough it out until the sun come out? Also, not every classroom has air conditioning, so you might just be burning up no matter what clothes you throw on.