Why Terrorism Won't Stop Me From Traveling

Never let fear win

24
Google Images

According to Merriam-Webster, terrorism is defined as “the use of violent acts to frighten the people in an area as a way of trying to achieve a political goal.” The goal of terrorism attacks is widespread fear. They want us to overreact, blame refugees, avoid airports and be paralyzed by what might happen. They win by making us change our lifestyles based on what if. They win every time someone second-guesses a decision, such as travelling.

It can happen anywhere.

Terrorism attacks have happened in New York City, Boston, San Bernardino, Paris, and Brussels. And honestly, these events are terrifying. The media has shown alarming footage, horrific acts, and play-by-plays of the violence happening throughout the world. They have convinced us to stay burrowed in our homes with the doors locked in order to avoid being attacked. But the truth is, we’re not any safer here in America than we would be overseas.

The world is a huge place. There are 7 billion people and counting, 5 oceans, 7 continents, 195 countries, and 6,500 spoken languages. There is so much to see, so much to do, and so much to experience. We should not let the terrorists overshadow the kind-hearted and wonderful people all over the world.

The chances are slim.

I hate to bring statistics into this and act like terrorism attacks aren’t a huge deal because they are. But statistically speaking, the chances of dying in a terrorist attack worldwide is 1 in 9.3 million. In contrast, you are 11 times more likely to die from slipping in the shower, 16 times more likely to die by lightning, and 500 times more likely to die in a car accident. You are also two times more likely to become an astronaut, three times more likely to see a UFO today, and 14 times more likely to win a gold medal in the Olympics. If the chances of being attacked are so minuscule, why is terrorism on everyone’s minds?

We cannot live in fear.

We cannot stop doing what we want simply because others want to cause destruction and terror. The future is unknown, but this should not stop you from living your life. We cannot live in fear. We cannot constantly look over our shoulder, expecting the worst. We cannot live wondering in the back of our minds if we’re next. If we stop traveling, the terrorists will have won.

This summer I will be studying abroad in Florence, Italy for two months and solo backpacking Europe for almost a month afterwards. I will be visiting Munich, Berlin, Prague, Salzburg, Vienna, Amsterdam and yes, Paris. Am I worried? Of course. Will I be more cautious? Definitely. But am I scared enough to cancel my trip? Hell no. Terrorists will not stop me from travelling. Don’t give into the fear and the hate. Explore other cultures, make friends all over the world, and just live your life.