Understanding Suicide

Understanding Suicide

To those who claim “It’s the easy way out” – you’re absolutely right.

12
Understanding Suicide

Let me put it this way:

Have you ever gotten upset with a classmate or a friend who cheated on an exam, quiz, paper, homework assignment, etc. and either got a better grade than you did, or just did well in general? You talk to all of your other friends about how he or she should have studied and put in the effort for the good grade like you did, and not taken the easy way about it. Right?

Okay, now have you ever cheated on an any of the above? Yes, you have. Let’s not lie to ourselves here, we’ve all done it at one point or another. So, I’m sure you are aware of how other people cheating has affected you, and therefore are aware how your cheating may affect your relationships with others, how they view you, etc.

But all you’re after is the grade, right? That’s all that really matters. It doesn’t matter who you upset or the means of which you get it – you just need that ‘A’. Well, suicide is the same thing, more or less.

When someone else does it, we want to point fingers and say they took “the easy way out” and get all upset with them about it – judging them and viewing themselves and practically really their entire academic career differently.

But when we do it, we expect other people to be understanding. We give 600 reasons why it’s so necessary, and try so hard to explain how much that ‘A’ really, really, mattered.

With suicide it is not about the ‘A’; it is about a Utopia awaiting us after death, or Heaven as some may call it.

We wonder why so many choose suicide, yet when someone dies due to a chronic (physical) illness, such as cancer, people always say that they are glad the individual isn’t in pain and suffering anymore - that “they’re in a better place” now. But how come when someone commits suicide, due to a chronic (mental) illness, nobody says that they’re glad they are no longer suffering? That’s all they were after - that happier, limitless, place they were always told about. Was it not?