Why Socialism Is Not Cool

Why Socialism Is Not Cool

An open letter to college students, from a college student.

123
Why Socialism Is Not Cool

It is quite alarming how many millennials and college students identify themselves as being Democrats, or even worse, supporters of Bernie Sanders. Bernie seems to be the candidate who attracts bandwagon political fans who do not actually understand how the government works. Even so, I am not sure what makes a person think that Socialism and “feeling the Bern” is cool. But in my opinion, it isn’t…at all.

The definition of Socialism is as follows: a system of living in which there is no private property, and the means of production are owned and controlled by the state.

In other words, socialism is a political system in which the goal is for everyone to be financially equal, and as proven in the past, equally poor. Socialists believe in taking money from the paychecks of those who earned it and giving it to others who do not make as much money. This way of governing the economy has no place in America; a country that was born on the ideas of capitalism and a free market. Socialism is the exact opposite of the American Dream; which I believe is something that all people should strive to achieve. To me, capitalism screams the words ambition, hard work and competition. On the other hand, socialism brings to mind words I never want to be associated with: mediocrity, uninspired, and dispassionate. Capitalism is awarding trophies to the deserving team who won the game, while socialism is handing out trophies to everyone, even the players who did not try.

I am a big believer in charities and donating money to causes you are passionate about if you have the means to do so. But I also believe that this is should be a choice of the individual, not a mandate from the government. People should share their wealth because they want to, not because they are forced to. I also think that there should indeed be government implements that are focused on assisting those who are working to get out of poverty. But, the way in which those people are helped should not hinder the success of others. Like Margaret Thatcher once said, "The problem with Socialism is eventually you run out of other people's money."

The most obvious reason that Bernie has immense support from younger people is due to his proposal to make college tuition free. As a college student myself, the initial thought of that sounds amazing. Who wouldn’t love to get the education you are paying fifty grand for for less than a penny? In a world where “free stuff” actually meant it was free, this would be fantastic. But the truth is—NOTHING IS FREE. Somebody has to pay that fifty grand somewhere. And that somebody will be you as soon as you get your first paycheck from your first real job. The government will have no choice but to raise the income tax, which is already very high, in order to make up for the money it has lost by handing out free college educations like candy. Inevitably, the marginal income tax rate will raise for all Americans under Bernie's tax plan. If you don't believe me, google "socialism in Denmark" and see what you find. Denmark is a Socialist country with a marginal tax rate of nearly 60% and the highest personal debt in the world! That's tough to read, never mind to live with. So what would you rather do? Pay for your education as you plan to now through set monthly loans, or have the government steal almost twice that amount of money straight from your paycheck down the road?

Second of all, if every university becomes the same price—then every university will be valued the same. You get what you pay for. Therefore, if every school is free, school standards will eventually become equal. A student who gets into an Ivy League school deserves the high valued and rigorous education that school can offer them. And at the same time, a student who is simply not smart enough to be admitted into an Ivy League should not receive the same education as a student who is. This may seem harsh, but the truth is sometimes.

To me, socialism is not cool. I don't believe equally redistributing people’s incomes so everybody can receive the same amount is an effective way of running a country. First, because it has been proven time and time again that it ultimately does not result in a prosperous nation. But most importantly because of the effect it will have on the mindset of it’s people. It will allow the lazy to continue to be lazy, and it will make those who work for their hard earned money wonder why they even work so hard. Settling for a mediocre life and accepting free handouts from the government is not cool. Siding with Bernie and agreeing with the values that Socialism promotes is setting the bar low for yourself. Don’t hope that the government will help you to be as rich as the guy next to you, but start working to be richer than him.