Why Singleness Can Be Good

Why Singleness Can Be Good

Sometimes singleness is God's way of just simply saving us from distraction, temptation, and plans that aren't His own.

18
Why Singleness Can Be Good
McKenna Hickman

Singleness and good. In our society now it is hard to believe that those two words even go together. We want to have a relationship SO badly that we get forget that it is good to just be alone, a hard reality that I had to face towards the end of 2016.

We date when it doesn't feel right. We pursue when God is screaming "NO, NO, NO". We worry we are going to be alone forever. We take attention from people that should have never belonged to us in the first place. We are in a rush. Slow down. Two major key words of being happy AND being single.

There is plenty of time in your life to date. Being in a relationship does not necessarily mean that you will be happy. I view singleness as the perfect time to grow. You get to focus on learning to take care of yourself so that when the time comes for you to take care of yourself and someone else, you will be beyond ready. When I say take care of yourself I firmly believe that it also means a time to spiritually grow. You can discover more about God than ever before when it is just you and him.

"Yes, we joke about being single, but it is truly a blessing for now because God is protecting our hearts from the hurt surrounding us." -Alli, Creator for Anderson University and friend of mine.

I think about that quote and I just sit back and nod my head repeatedly because it has been so true in my life. It is very dangerous when we begin to overstep God because we are impatient. That action typically requires a no or a heartbreak so that we may come back to Him and/or refocus. I feel like this always is happening in the dating scene. He is just so cute and has a great personality or she is just the most beautiful and kind. I can feel the tug on my heart saying "no", but guess what? I still pursued him anyway. This result in massive amounts of heartbreak because I chose to turn and run the other way. Sometimes singleness is God's way of just simply saving us from distraction, temptation, and plans that aren't His own. Our Father is just trying to guard our hearts. It isn't that He doesn't want us to have someone so lovely and handsome but He knows the condition and state of our hearts. Psalm 139:1 says "O Lord, you have searched me and known me!" He is preparing us now for the later. That is just beautiful. Because He knows us better than we know ourselves. He just wants to simply protect us. So yes, it may be a joke, please laugh the "pain" away with me, but lets also celebrate the protection we have in Christ.

Jesus always knows just what we need and at the perfect time. Patience is important.

I am probably one of the most impatient people. I am a get it done, lets go, now move on kind of person. We must not rush God. When we say "Lord I trust you with this" that includes the timing. While I embrace this season I must patiently wait and in my waiting I need to be working and growing. There is purpose in my present. I have found that one of the best things to do during a time of waiting is praying. So daily I pray to be used now, embrace this season of life, and for my future husband.

Giving yourself to Christ allows him to place you where you need to be. Find comfort in that with me today.

There can be good things about being single because it comes along with waiting, growing, and being challenged. We get to focus all of the energy we have been using to search for someone to pursue after Christ's heart, who then places us where we need to be. What comfort I find in that.