Why Single People Need To Just Let Couples Enjoy Valentine's Day

It costs you nothing to respect a happy relationship.

14
pink and white heart illustration

It's February, which means Valentine's Day is right around the corner. This is the time when you begin to see red and pink cards, heart-shaped chocolate, and teddy bears take over the stores. We all know Valentine's is a capitalist holiday, invented for stores to sell cutesy items to couples in love. And you know what---there is nothing wrong with that. If a couple doesn't want to spend a lot on each other for this gushy holiday, then they don't have to.

What's more annoying than the sappy social media posts are the bitter single people. I'm talking about the people who complain that there is no holiday for single people. Nothing is stopping you from buying yourself a bag of half-off chocolate. There is no shame in being single, even on Valentine's Day, but there is no need to rain on those who want to have fun with the holiday.

Besides, there are plenty of "spoof's" on this February favorite, including "Galentine's Day" for all your girl friends. Just because you aren't in love doesn't mean you can't celebrate the notion of love itself. Personally, I love receiving physical mail, and I think Valentine's is a great excuse to send your friends a card and brighten their mid-semester slump.

If you're mad that two people are celebrating their relationship, then maybe you need to look at why you are single. Someone posting a picture of the flowers their boyfriend gave them has zero affect on your life and ability to be happy. Besides, if you ever enter a relationship, you too would want the leeway to boast about the wonderful significant other you have. If you don't have a romantic partner to shower in love poems and gifts, consider sending a card to your mom, a friend, or even a neighbor---you never know who might return the love when you need it.

Single people, your time will come. Don't wish ill on the couples in your life or scoff at all the heart-shaped balloons in the grocery store. Not every couple wants to celebrate Valentine's Day, and that's okay too. Valentine's Day should be a fun day without any pressure or self-pity. And if you're single, all the power to you for getting to save money this holiday. So, let the love birds post all they want on the holiday for romance. If it bothers you, try taking a social media cleanse.

Remember, self-love is still love! Try treating yourself this Valentine's Day.