One of the best decisions I have ever made in my life was to attend Penn State University. Penn State, commonly referred to as Happy Valley, has truly made me happy.
I've compiled a list of reasons as to why YOU should choose Penn State. If you want the best college experience, Penn State is the place for you. I'm not saying Penn State is for everyone, but it truly is one of the best universities on this planet — it has so many things to offer. You are able to get the full college experience in State College.
1. Campus is beautiful. University Park is beautiful. I find myself many times walking past Old Main and just staring at how beautiful it is. The library is also a gorgeous building.
2. This place has so much to offer. Penn State has a little bit of something for everyone. Do you like fly fishing? Well, there is a fly fishing club. Do you want to be in Greek Life? There are so many sororities and fraternities — and there are more than just social ones. There are business and multicultural Greek organizations, too. If you are not into partying, Penn State hosts many activities on the weekends. The HUB has late-night activities such as movie showings, crafting and food specials.
3. Penn Staters are welcoming. On my first day of freshman year, I was lost. I had no idea how to get to the Walker Building. However, some upperclassman on a bike stopped and gave me directions. Thankfully, I was only 10 minutes late rather than missing my first college class.
4. You can find everything within a five-mile radius. If you need to find something, and it can't be found on campus, I am sure you will be able to find it close off campus. Sometimes I get sick of food on campus, and there are so many restaurants in State College. My friends and I are able to get whatever food we want, and we don't have to go very far. Also, one of my friends had an expired license and she was able to get a new license at a local DMV. She didn't even have to wait in a line, unlike at the one she is used to at home.
5. Sports. Penn State has an incredible athletic department. Home football games are the best weekends. Hockey games are super fun. Our wrestling team is one of the best in the nation. Women's Volleyball just won a National Championship. You can even get involved in IM sports or club sports — Penn State has a lot to offer in the sporting field.
6. Great housing. Penn State just renovated South Halls, and they are now beautiful, with hardwood floors and single bathrooms. East Halls are not the best, but many freshmen still live there for the experience. I visited many other universities, and Penn State has nicer housing then many others.
7. The party scene is fun. Penn State has consistently been a top party school. Whether you decide to join Greek Life or not, you can find a party almost every day of the week. However, Penn Staters live by the motto, “Work hard, Party hard."
8. Food. The food on and off campus is really good. The HUB is filled with many options, including Sbarro, Jamba Juice, Starbucks, Burger King, Panda Express and McAllister's Deli. Off campus, there are plenty of local and chain dining options to fill your serious cravings.
9. Top education. Penn State degrees are some of the most powerful in the world. Over half a million people have earned a PSU degree. There are so many Penn Staters out in the real world, and networking becomes a great way to get a job and build connections.
10. Once a Penn Stater, always a Penn Stater. Penn Staters are everywhere. Once you graduate, you join an amazing alumni association. There are many times when I've seen people wearing Penn State apparel and it has led to us striking up a conversation. If you want a sense of family in the university you choose, then Penn State is for you. Penn State has its own little family. When traveling all around the world, Penn Staters are right there with you.