10 Reasons Why You Should Seek A Counselor

Everyone who goes to counseling is not crazy.

282
Unsplash

Counseling is something that does not get talked about a lot. It is something that people would always recommend, but never actually go to. But there is a myriad of benefits, to seek counseling; ten to be exact. Here they are.

1. They want to hear everything you go through.

Counselors love to be there for you with open ears. I know this from experience. They like to find the deeper meanings behind your actions, instead of judging them on the surface. There are no limits as to what you can tell the counselor. They are ready for anything you throw at them. But it is very important, to not let them grow tiresome of your stories. There are only 45 minutes in a session unless you desperately need more time.

2. Let everything go off your chest.

In a politically correct society that we live in, it is frowned upon to fully express how you truly feel to/ about others. This, in turn, causes us to internalize and suppress our emotions into our brain. The way we feel may come out in different aspects of our lives, that could be detrimental to our well-being. Seeking counseling will be a sanctuary for you. There is no judgment when you let go of everything that has been irking you for so long. It relieves this pressure and opens up a floodgate of emotions, that you may have never experienced. And you will be glad that you did.

3. It is free in some instances.

For example, here at Clemson University, we have Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) that are free to students and faculty. There is nothing for you to lose by going to counseling. There is only room for gain.

4. They won't blabber your business to everyone.

If you have a friend group like mine, you all may have a friend that blabbers every ounce of detail that you tell them about yourself. This, in turn, causes you to lose trust in your constituents. When it comes to counseling, everything is strictly confidential, unless whatever you are telling may be detrimental to the community at large. But counselors' lips are sealed.

5. It gives you a clear state of mind.

Your thoughts that ramble through your mind can be laid out in the open for the counselor. For me sometimes, my thoughts may interfere with what I am experiencing at that particular time. It can affect the way you do on exams or how you handle yourself in uncomfortable circumstances. Counseling can give you the solace you need to focus on the moment and not past, present or future.

6. They won't judge you.

Counselors will never judge you as an individual unless you ask for feedback. Counselors provide a "safe space," where you air out your grievances with individuals, tell your deepest, most dark secrets and learn how to navigate through life. Counselors are kind of like God, but not as holy as Christ. They have to keep a sane and content manner when doing business of this nature.

7. They give meaningful, life-changing tips

Counselors have been trained for an ample amount of years, to give you the advice that they have learned through school and personal experiences. Some have the keys to make your life much more meaningful and give you tips that will help you navigate through tough situations you may encounter. Some advice may be good and others may be perceived as bad. It is up to you to take the advice or not.

8. It can keep you from getting in serious trouble.

If you have been like me and had a couple of run-ins with administration, counseling would be the best thing for you, considering it could keep you from being suspended or worse, expelled from school. It is kind of like alcohol anonymous. You don't want to really be there; but through time, you find it to be enjoyable and wish you can go back again.

9. You won't be a burden to your friends.

Your friends are going to be there for you, through thick and thin. But that doesn't mean you can drown and soak your friends with your problems. More than likely, your friends may be dealing with issues of their own. Friends are not going to be able to balance their struggles, as well as your struggles. That's what counselors are for. Counselors are trained to devour your thoughts, emotions, and feelings while balancing their own feelings. I mean not all counselors are robots. They have feelings too.

10. You'll be relieved that you did.

After you gain a sense of courage to seek counseling, you will be glad that you did. I mean through this article I have expressed all the benefits that come with seeking a counselor. If everything goes according to plan, and you gain the necessary information you need, you will be on your way to having a life-fulling journey because of counseling.