Why Quarantine Can Be An Opportunity

Why Quarantine Can Be An Opportunity

Even though social distancing can be a difficult change for many of us, there can be upsides too!

3
Why Quarantine Can Be An Opportunity

COVID-19 has reached the US and rapidly proliferated into all 50 states, sending the nation into a frenzy and imposing measures to which citizens are not accustomed. New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut have enforced statewide curfews between 8 PM and 5 AM, closing all bars, restaurants, casinos, and movie theaters. and the federal government has banned group meetings consisting of more than 50 people for at least 8 weeks. This concept of social distancing is crucial to reducing spread of coronavirus in order to not overwhelm hospitals and resources. However, it is okay to acknowledge that it is incredibly difficult and frustrating to live in isolation. Humans are inherently social beings, after all. To make the most of this quarantine, here are some things you can do to pass the time.

Find a new hobby

Being in quarantine has forced us to postpone or cancel many events on our packed schedules. With all this free time, this is the perfect opportunity to pick up a new hobby. What have you always wanted to learn but never had the time to do so? Here are some ideas! Learn how to:

• Knit or crochet
  • Bake a new dessert
  • Cook a new treat
  • Play an instrument -- piano, guitar, etc.
  • Become a sudoku master
  • Play chess or checkers
  • Draw, paint, or sketch
  • Dance
  • Play card games
  • Perform magic tricks
  • Work out

Read!

As we get older, we find ourselves with less time to sit down and read. A real, physical book which you can flip pages and bend the spine. A captivating story that will occupy you for hours as you eagerly speed through it, anxious to find out how the tale ends. Or, a fascinating piece of non-fiction that will leave you with new knowledge and perspectives. Use this newfound free time to read something you've been meaning to for a long time, or explore new titles. There's a wonderful feeling of peace and comfort that comes with losing yourself in the pages of a book, and this is the ideal time to (re)discover it.

Spend time with family

Without going to school or work, this is a rare occasion for the entire family to be together under one roof for an extended period of time. Cherish this time, because it will vanish as quickly as it appeared. Watch movies together, cook together, play games together, and laugh together. Family is a special bond that will be everlasting, but nurturing that bond is important for our happiness and mental well-being.

Social distancing is essential to keeping our vulnerable population safe. Even if you can survive the virus, the elderly and the immunocompromised of all ages cannot. Play your part and stay at home!