Why Psychology You Ask?

“I want to inspire people. I want someone to look at me and say, ‘Because of you I didn’t give up.”-Unknown

Why not be a psychology major? When you're a senior in high school you get asked a lot what you're doing after you graduate. If you answer school, you'll probably get the follow up question of, "What are you planning to study?" Then you respond with whatever you thought you wanted to do. For me, it was psychology. Then followed the person looking at me and proceeding to say, "Good luck with that!" Or something like, "You must be crazy to be a psychology major!" Oh and how could I forget when someone said, "Can I come sit on your couch?"

My goal was to prove everyone wrong. Prove to people that I could be a psychology major and get a good job with my degree.

Seriously though, why wouldn't you want to be a psych major? It's not just someone talking to someone who's lying on a couch talking about their dreams. It's one of the most interesting majors out there. There are so many things you need to learn. There are all of the different diseases and disorders children and adults have. Along with knowing the disorders, you have to know how to treat the people, whether if it’s with certain therapies or medication. Along with all of this you can’t forget all of the signs and symptoms. Some are extremely intriguing. It’s so complex. You need to know about the brain and all of its features. Knowing the brains anatomy can be key when dealing with a client, because something in their brain could be triggering their behavior.

With a psychology degree there are so many amazing opportunities and paths to take. You can do so much it’s crazy! Some things need higher degrees, such as a doctorate or masters. Still, you can be a school counselor, a drug and alcohol addiction counselor, a social worker, or even a sports psychologist. There are so many different opportunities. The possibilities are endless!

Thanks to all of these amazing opportunities, you get to meet so many people. Psychology is all about helping people. You can change someone’s life every day. You’re constantly counseling, talking, and engaging with people on a daily basis. You could help high school kids who think that sometimes the stress is too much, or help lead them on the right path. You could help someone go from their lowest point to their highest and help them stay there. You could help a collegiate athlete who doesn’t think they can handle it anymore. Helping one person just doesn’t help them; it helps their family, friends, and anyone who encounters them.

I chose psychology for all of these reasons and many more. I just think that it’s such an interesting and complex. I wanted to help people with some of the things I have gone through in my life. In general, I just want to help people, children and adults. I want to help as many people as I can and change someone’s life. I want to help someone reach their highest point and keep them there. I want to help someone overcome addiction. I want to help an athlete discover that when they don’t think they can go anymore, that they can.

“Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darkness of other people.”-Carl Jung