It Is Okay To Be Selfish

It Is Okay To Be Selfish

Life is a one time offer...use it well

7
It Is Okay To Be Selfish
https://www.instagram.com/p/2QdGzIgYKC/

You may not necessarily think it is true, but it is okay to be selfish. I’m not saying it is okay to be a complete bitch or worry about nobody but yourself – but I am saying that it is okay to put yourself first. As a college student it is easy to get caught up in what everyone else is doing and saying but you always need to put your best interest in mind first.

It is okay to not go out one or two nights because you have sleep or homework to catch up on. It is okay to take off one day of work once in a blue moon to just sit in bed and do nothing. It is okay to stop being friends with someone who no longer serves a positive purpose in your life.

We are so attached to our smartphones and having access to the Internet 24/7 that it sometimes makes it hard to put life on hold for a couple of minutes a day because we are always constantly being connected to the rest of the world. I mean, I love Instagram as much as the next person but sometimes having this constant connection to the world makes it that much harder to escape.

During my summer I worked two jobs. Do not get me wrong the money was great – especially after a long school year of an empty bank account. But, there actually came a point where I would go about two or three weeks without having a single day off. I realized that it was okay to use my voice and just tell my boss that I simply needed a day off. I mean it is the summer and I am a college student, I am supposed to have at least a little bit of fun – right? It became impossible to make plans with such a busy schedule and I found myself being very cranky. Waking up everyday and going through the motions without even thinking about what your next move is going to be is not living at all.

Being even just a little bit selfish can lead to more happiness and a healthier life. Taking time out for yourself just to go to the gym or even binge watch your favorite Netflix series is completely okay. We all have such busy schedules that sometimes we forget to reconnect with the things that make us happy.

Putting ourselves first and making decisions to do what makes us happy is something that we should focus on doing more often. I especially believe that as a college student that it is really okay to be selfish. Yes, these four years of college will probably be the best years of my life but it is okay to be selfish when it comes to choosing studying over going out or maybe catching up on some sleep before going to an extracurricular event.

It is okay to be selfish sometimes – there will always be a right time and place for it.