Make 2018 Better Than 2017 By Improving Your Old Resolutions

How to conquer your resolutions this year.

92

After enduring the long and grueling year, we are given a chance to start over. New Year's Day rolls around and we can finally decide to lose those extra pounds, work on getting that promotion, or start saving our money.

But didn't we make those same resolutions last year? Why didn't we keep them? What is going to be different about the next year, and how do we ensure these resolutions become a part of our lifestyle?

In order to ensure our resolutions don't fail once again, we must first understand why they do.

1. They're not specific.

While saying that you want to lose weight and get fit is a great goal, it is not specific enough. How will you lose weight? What physical activities will you engage in? How much weight do you plan to lose each month?

Answering questions such as these will help you to come up with a plan that you can execute to obtain your goals, rather than trying to run with a vague idea that has no solid ground.

2. You go about achieving your goals in the wrong way.

The human brain is a complex and tricky structure, but science has proved that in order to change a behavior, we must change our thinking or "rewire" the synaptic connections in our brain. Knowing this, we can take a smarter and more efficient approach to accomplishing our resolutions.

Saying that you are going to accomplish something by not doing other things simply continues to strengthen those old connections. For example, if I say I am going to lose weight by "not eating sweets", really what I am doing is simultaneously strengthening connections that emphasize I enjoy eating sweets. I am continually reinforcing this idea, while bringing into awareness I am depriving myself of something I really enjoy.

A better approach would be to limit myself to one dessert a week instead of avoiding them altogether. This way, I am establishing new connections and habits instead of strengthening old ones or going about them the wrong way. This provides for a more stable and obtainable long-term solution.

3. They are unrealistic.

It isn't news that motivation is a key variable in obtaining our goals, but perhaps how we define its role and our expected outcomes don't always align.

Often people establish huge milestones and begin to lose sight of them during the process. Rather, try setting smaller, more obtainable goals that continuously reward you. This allows you to maintain that critical variable of motivation and ensure that your objectives are practical enough to continue fueling your desire to achieve them.

4. You aren't patient enough.

Being patient with ourselves while we work towards our goals is critical. It surely doesn't help that with the continual advancements of technological innovation, our society has conditioned us so that we unconsciously expect instantaneous rewards. Often we have the same expectation of instant gratification when we try to execute our New Year's resolutions.

This goes back to the fundamental need for setting smaller milestones rather than big ones. Have patience in the process and work towards your goals every single day.

5. You're making it work instead of fun.

Maybe you are making your resolutions into something unenjoyable when it doesn't have to be. Don't just try to lose weight by walking on a treadmill for an hour or two. There are plenty of fun and exciting ways to engage in a healthy lifestyle. Sign up for yoga classes, try boxing or karate, swim laps at your local pool, or join a group fitness class.

Whatever your goal might be, make it something that you enjoy so you can continue to integrate it into your everyday life.

I want to emphasize that while New Year's resolutions can be a great start for some people, don't use the holiday as an excuse to procrastinate on your goals and dreams. Start working on your goals now and have fun in the process. Life is too short to wait for another year to start living it at your best.