Why My Sorority Is My Home

Why My Sorority Is My Home

Pi Beta Phi means so much more than just being a part of a sorority, it truly is a place I call home.

9
Why My Sorority Is My Home

A year ago at this time, I was scrolling through Instagram profiles and Tumblr pages looking at different sorority houses at the University of Iowa. I knew that once I started my freshman year, a good way to get involved was to go greek. Being the first person in my entire family to go to a big university and to even consider going greek, I really didn't know what to expect. So I asked a few friends who were involved and googled the terminology just to get myself prepared. As recruitment started, I had no idea what to expect. Each chapter had different characteristics that made them unique. After a long two weeks, my decision wasn't tough. I was called home to the one and only, Pi Beta Phi.

Being involved in a sorority is much more than the media makes it out to be. We aren't ditzy college girls who take their father's credit card and just go swipe it every chance we can get. Actually, my parents don't even pay for my education or my Greek life. That all comes out of my bank account. Also, there are numerous girls in my chapter who have jobs and pay for their own things. We strive every day to live by our values and uphold our chapter to the highest we can.

This year I had to wonderful opportunity to attend the 2015 Pi Beta Phi convention in Chicago. Being someone who has never been to Chicago before, I was all over this opportunity. I was so excited to be somewhere where there were over 1,300 people who shared the same values as me. During the day we attended meetings and workshops to make us better leaders. At night we would attend wonderful dinners where awards were handed out. They had influential guest speakers like three time Olympic gold medalist, Nancy Hogshead-Maker, and New York bestselling author, Jen Lancaster. The weekend was packed with a ton of new learning experiences.

If I could put my weekend into one sentence I would say being a part of Pi Beta Phi is being the best person you can possibly be and more. We strive to help others, not only our sisters, but people in need. We want the best, not for just us but for the person standing next to us. We won't take no for an answer, and we will do whatever it takes to get it. This convention has opened my eyes and my heart to so much more than just saying "I'm a Pi Phi." Over 1,300 ladies came together and raised over $133,00 for the foundation because we want to make a difference. Even my own chapter donated $10,000. It amazes me how we can all come together to make a change.

Pi Beta Phi means so much more than just being a part of a sorority, it truly is a place I call home. I know when I look to the left and to my right, these are my sisters forever.