Why Modesty Should Matter For The Christian Millennial

It can be frustrating to not feel sexually desired, but God has called us to display strength differently.

220

My mother was stricter than many when it came to my clothing.

Growing up, I wasn't allowed to wear whatever I wanted. In comparison to the majority of my friends, I had to dress far more "Amish" than they were made to by their mothers. Yes, that included the banning of wearing bikinis in public as well as booty shorts and skinny jeans (for a time.) Women who wear those articles of clothing are certainly not less than; personally, I think the propriety of clothing depends on the situation and context. No matter what your definition of modesty may be, those of us girls who were taught to think twice about what we put on everyday face a constant dilemma: men don't always look at us or think of us with as much desire as they do the women who choose to show more skin.

We want to be desired, everyone does! We want to feel beautiful, confident, and comfortable. However, it can be difficult to find motivation for modesty when the world praises and glorifies the woman who is willing to show every part of her body to the world, be that with tight clothing that outlines her pretty figure or shorter shorts and shirts that show off the most skin. Bare with me on that accidental alliteration.

I am grateful that my mother taught me my take care of my appearance and to present myself well; the Bible says that our bodies are temples where the Holy Spirit dwells, and we are to be good stewards of it. Likewise, the famous 31st chapter in Proverbs tells us that a noble woman "clothes herself with strength and dignity." But what do strength and dignity mean to us, the female millennials trying to represent Christ in a society that glorifies casual sex and "slim thick" bodies?

When searching the word "strength" on dictionary.com, there are seven definitions that appear. Four of those definitions proposed a poignant perspective I don't usually consider. Apparently, strength can be literally defined as, "bodily or muscular power; mental power, force, or vigor; moral power, firmness, or courage; and power of resisting force." Yes, ladies, God has called us to be strong in body, mind, spirit, and conviction. The qualification of dignity is equally encouraging: "bearing, conduct,orspeechindicativeofself-respectorappreciationof theformalityorgravityofanoccasionorsituation."

I don't know about you, but I want to be a woman who displays the strength and dignity of the Holy Spirit that God created us to represent.

God did not sculpt our strong, resilient, and beautiful forms to bend to the will of others, succumb to peer pressure, or to relinquish dignity in exchange for a licentious look from an ogling passersby.

Yes, the women who dress to distract or to send a sexual message that seems to say, "I'm easy," or even, "Come and get it," may receive more attention than women who more carefully consider their audience when getting dressed in the morning. It can be disappointing when even Christian boys and men claim to want a godly woman and still gravitate towards the one who would rather dress to impress themselves than the Lord. But far more important than compliments or even sexual attention is this: are we dressing for, as the dictionary defined dignity, to appreciate the formality of an occasion or situation? Because if you are a born-again believer who is baptized or the Holy Spirit, your constant occasion or situation is as a representative of :Christ and as a dwelling place for the Holy Spirit.

Your body is so much more than a canvas for self-expression or a gorgeous form that God made men to long for. In Genesis, when God created female, He called her, "The helper for mankind." In the New Testament, when Jesus was about to ascend to Heaven, he sent "The Helper" with a capital H. He said that this Helper, the Holy Spirit, was so beneficial for us that it was better for Jesus to go away in order that we might have it. Isn't it interesting that God calls the woman and the Holy Spirit the same name?

I believe that God made man to reflect the headship and authority of God in the trinity, and that he made us, woman, to represent the interceding and constant force of wisdom that the Holy Spirit is for the body of Christ.

Women, you are meant to help reflect the trinity! Your body was designed for so many amazing functions. We are given the ability to hold and deliver life, nourish babies, and the curvature of our figures was made to be desired. But most importantly, you, just like your brothers in Christ, are a temple for the Holy Spirit.

When you consider the importance that God has given you in the kingdom, seeming sexually appealing to strangers walking by on the street doesn't seem as important anymore, does it? I know that men may not look at you as much or in the same way as the next girl who dresses a bit more carelessly. It is frustrating, I know. But you are called to something greater and more fulfilling than any fleeting moment of lusting or being the object of lust can afford.

Christian women, let us clothe ourselves with strength and dignity that respects the gravity of the role we have been given. Let us be stronger than the woman who feels as though she must find approval by displaying her body. Let us be encouraging to one another to pursue righteousness above sexual attention. Let us "speak with wisdom," and "fear the Lord." Modesty has often been thrown around to women in the church, so much so that its original meaning might have gotten lost along the way. But let us claim modesty for what it truly means and should entail: praising God with our temple and choosing to honor Him rather than please men or others.