Why I Married Young

Why I Married Young

“Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” Matthew 10:9

215
Why I Married Young
Christina Sharp

When my husband proposed, I was 19 years old and he was 23. We had only been dating for nine months, but during these nine months we prayed and prayed and we felt that God was calling us to marriage. We knew that by getting married we would be able to serve God better, and this was the ultimate goal for both of our lives. However, I’m sure you are able to imagine all of the criticism that came along with this engagement. I was being criticized by people I had never even met, saying that I was too young, we hadn’t been dating long enough, the marriage would never last, saying that I would be missing out on my ‘best years.' Well let me tell you something, I have now been married for a year, and that was my best year.

“And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:28

It is okay to get married young. It should not be frowned upon simply because we live in a ‘hook-up’ culture. My response to any negative comment about my engagement would always be the same, “If your marriage is based on God and His word, it will not fail," and this is true with anything in your life. God should be the center of every part of your life.

“Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.” Ecclesiastes 4:12

What I have gained from getting married young is so much more than I could have ‘lost.' I have gained my biggest supporter in everything that I do. I have gained someone who I can go to with any problem no matter how big or small it may be. I have someone who is always in my corner, protecting and providing for me. I have someone who will serve the Lord with me and work to grow our relationship with Him as well as each other and for that, I am so grateful.

“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace.” Ephesians 4:2-3

It honestly should not matter at all, if you are ‘over the standard age of 25’ when you marry, as long as your intentions are pure. Love each other humbly, because you will make mistakes. Be patient as you grow together and always be gentle with the tone that you speak. Marriage is so much fun, and so filled with joy. And if you’re not married or engaged, that is okay too. Take this time to grow in your personal relationship with God and pray for your future spouse; pray that God will prepare their heart for you. There is a reason things have not come together yet, so just be patient and trust in God's timing.

“Above all love each other deeply because love covers a multitude of sins.” 1 Peter 4:8